Dyno Runs: Gen2 AWD V8: Front Drive Shaft Disconnect?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
There is a Subaru mod company having a Dyno day in Lake Placid, NY on the 23rd of October.

My wife and I are thinking of going. They can't tune our vehicles that day, due to the high volume of people looking to get 3 Dyno pulls each.

My wife's car fits on their Dyno just fine.

My truck doesn't fit.

Is there a way that I can disconnect the front drive shaft so that my truck is then RWD instead of AWD?

If I do this, will it throw some kind of CEL?

Has anyone figured out how to defeat the traction control completely for a Dyno run? Maybe Iceman can chime in on this?

Being that it is AWD if you disconnect the front driveshaft the t-case is going to try to put power to the front wheels once it sees that they aren't spinning, basically it thinks that the rear is slipping.

Hi Carey, I think the transfer case will keep on spinning, so you'll have a HP lose irregardless. Bet it might set off a few of the idiot lights in the dash. Cause when TC activates, it will cut power to the engine, apply brakes or some sort of thing. Don't know if it would damage anything. Mine has a TC button in the center stack, that if held down will disable the TC for a short time. Somebody will have a real answer. Bob

I went through this dilema in May. BC and L1tech are right on, the transfer case does spin. I looked into the same dyno guy in Lake Placid but my ST wouldn't fit like you found out Cary. ESC in Sterling MA has an AWD dyno that a Gen2 will just fit on. Check out the video of my dyno run below. Front wheel does spin some. No getting around it (that's worth the effort or consequences). I had OD off and Traction Control Off. That's about the best you can do that I've found.

http://vimeo.com/11883782

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to the mustang shop in calgary and they did that on a harley F150 they said they had no issues, tuner in Edmonton said they don't recommend it, talked to henson performance (they do a shit load of harleys) The guy said that the tuner does not recommend this, nor does he like it, but in the end its your discretion, if it does do some damage the tuner isn't liable.

Latest posts