DVD ripping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question for those savvy in digital video. Friend of mine, asked me to make digital copy of his wedding DVD (he owns all the rights to it, so no copyright infringement here), in something like AVI or MPEG format. His DVD consists of several Chapters with nice menus and titles. So here's the question, is it possible to rip the DVD into any file format that will preserve those DVD menus (so that they actually work)?

Quick search on Google yield that I can't, but I figured I'd asked, this crowd seem to have all the answers :)

Thanks for your help!

Alex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Working with some digital video @ work as we speak (more or less)

There isn't a way that I know of that you can preserve the DVD Menu while ripping a DVD to a digital video format. Hopefully someone will be able to prove me wrong?

Thanks! Yeah, that's what i thought :( Too bad, but I'll just rip each chapter individually than and organize them in folders ;-) it'll be like menu...

Shaun, which application do you use for ripping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex,

I don't use it often, actually my co-worker has it on his computer and I use it from time to time for work purposes. I believe there are two programs we use. DVD Shrink and Rip It 4 Me. Sorry I can't give you more info!

Some facts about the structure of a DVD are at the link below.

Many don't know this, but the .VOB files for un-encrypted DVDs will play on most PCs having the right codecs (most that will play back a DVD already have them) if you simply rename the extension to .mpeg and click on them.

TJR

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm trying to convert a DVD of my band -- taken from a digital camcorder -- to a format I can put on the web. Problem is, although the DVD plays fine in my home DVD player, the AUDIO_TS directory is empty and I get no audio when I try to rip it to another format, like AVI or WMV.

Any thoughts?

Try not using the dvd itself. Try sending it to the computer VIA the camcorder. That should work. If you don't have the camcorder, you may need a dvd player to hook up to the computer. Not sure how you gat a dvd without audio files. Most are recorded that way. I'm no techie though.:D:(

Jim Johnson,

How was the movie burned to the DVD in the first place:

a. with some program on a PC, with the camcorder hooked to the PC via Firewire or USB

b. directly to DVD from the camcorder (as some camcorders record directly on DVD)

If the answer above is a) then try to use the same program to rip the DVD to an MPEG file (or better yet, get a copy of the original source directly from the camcorder).

Once you have the file (ripped or copied from the camcorder) then test on that computer. It is likely if you go that route you will have sound. If you do, then download the ripped file to another computer and see if the sound works. If it doesn't, then you are missing an audio codec on the target computer. Probably the AC3 codec; that's usually the culprit. Do a Google search for "AC3 codec" and download a free copy (note it is also called AC3Filter).

TJR

Great info TJR, thanks for the link!

I was playing with DVD Fab a bit yesterday, looks like a great tool and very straight forward to use.

Thank you all for advise guys!

Alex

I finally got it -- now I can't remember which program I used, but I think it was DVD Fab.

I don't really know the details of the camcorder, etc., as someone else shot the video. But a large part of the problem was that the DVD ended up in some non-standard configuration, although it played on my home DVD player and my wife's PC, which runs Vista. It wouldn't play on my XP machine.