Dual Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with the FLO 40, I the look of the exhaust at the back, but does look nice on the side view.

TRACket Paul!...is ....is that your trac?????

Last edited by a moderator:
For maximum performance, wouldn't it be best to run the pipe straight out the middle of the rear of the truck?

It may be so minute that it doesn't even amount to anything, but forward thrust is still forward thrust, so shooting the exhaust out behind you should aid in propelling you forward. Any other postion, like the stock one, pushes the trac--however marginally--in the opposite direction of its orientation.

"for ever action there is an equal but opposite reaction", words of wisdom from an arrogant mathematician.

Kevin, the result would be negligible, given the density and velocity of the air vs. the weight and momentum of the truck.

It's like when you get those spam e-mails that say if everyone on the planet jumps at the same time we can cause an earthquake. It just doesn't matter. Dumping it out the side does provide the most benefit because the exhaust has to travel the shortest, straightest distance, instead of bending around axles and what not.

The exhaust would have to be travelling at a speed relative to the truck speed that is proportional to the ratio of the mass of the truck versus the mass of air. Since air weighs almost nothing relative to the weight of the truck, the exhaust would have to be travelling at an incredible speed (like what, 400,000 mph?) to move the truck with an exhaust port the size of a tailpipe. And you would have to move the intake to the middle as well, since the air going out has to come in through the intake.

Hey guys, I _did_ say that it would be neglible.

Even though it can't move the trac by its own power, some thrust is still provided by it, and I'd rather have it out the back, though straight down the center to the back isn't happening ;)

I like the duals out the back that several people have here, but I don't want anything else running through my leaf springs, and I don't wanna remove the spare/hitch, so I'm at an impasse. That out-the-side right behind the running board was cool looking, but as ya'll have been saying, it seems infeasible with the gas tank :(

CraigC: I planned on getting a cold air intake before I put the exhaust on or possibly at the same time. I realize that if you put on a more aggresive exhaust it probably ain't worth it if you don't let more air in since it going out faster. Thanks for the info.

quote]hey?! where has he/Chops been? I have not seen him post in a long long while! There are a few others I have not seen post here in a long while too. [/quote]

I'm still around!.... And I still have the ST!

I have a new project and I'm in the final stage of completion that takes all my spare time...

A 1968 Camaro RS/SS Tri-Black (why any other color?)

built 350 ci 4 bolt main, Edelbrock mid rise intake, 4 spd Muncie M22 "Rockcrusher" tied to a Hurst competition shifter, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.42 gears. Fun Stuff. Rock and Roll.

A neighbor saw me working on mine so much, he got the bug, and bought a '67.

These things are highly addictive, there are several parts houses that repop every part on the car, which makes it way too easy to spend money. Used parts are crazy expensive too, especially if they are NOS.

I still come around here from time to time, the ST has/is giving me faithful service as a daily driver, but I've done all the mods to the ST that can be done to get any meaningful return.

Someone popped the tailgate a few weeks ago with a paintball gun, and it ate into the CC. I compounded it out. Whatever is in paintballs, it eats paint.

Thanks again for the comps GM!!

Hi there Chops! You are welcome! and WOW! could you..would you please post pics of that new wip when done? That sounds pretty already! I don't think there is no other color that looks GREAT on any vehicle! and of course Black Tracs rule! ;) :D

Latest posts