Driveshaft

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Thorne

Reaction score
Has any one had any luck rebalancing their drive shaft?

The truck picks up a shimmy at around 65 or 70 mph, it tends to come and go as I drive on the highway and it feel likes it is from the rear end. Tires have been rotated and spare put on and same shimmy at same speed.

I have just replaced the U joints on the driveshaft, I started to have a really bad vibration at around 40mph that did not go away, u joints solved that problem. Shimmy was there before u joint went bad as well. I know there was a tsb about the driveshafts, being replaced with aluminum shafts, but that sounds expensive. Rebalance is $180, I was just wondering if any one has tried that and what results where.

Thanks for any info.

I had mine replaced to the aluminum under a TSB when I had my warranty........ Problem went away.

You could re balance, ITS way cheaper.

Todd Z

I did both - rebuilt and balanced both driveshafts and replaced the rear with the Ford aluminum (along with a bunch of other stuff); no difference.

The speed of your vibration isn't that noted in the TSB (75 to 80). And the TSB applies to vehicles with 4.10 differentials. Mine came with 3.83 and there was a vibration above 85. I changed tires sizes and then ratios to 4.10 and the vibration speed reduced to about 70 (TSB now applies).

I have an intermittent vibration at 65 to 75 MPH, most noticeably when the road curves slightly right. Check upper and lower control arm bushings. Mine need to be replaced.

It's like the old junk yard joke.

What are the chances of you finding a 10 bolt posi at the junk yard?

Posi-tively zero!

That was a good one Dean :)

After I get back from Fort Myers spring break vacation I'll give the used aluminum drive shaft a try and buy some lottery tickets too.

A LOT of Rangers had their driveshafts replaced with aluminum ones on warranty, both of mine were. The late John Rock (R.I.P.) had a Ranger Supercab rear driveshaft in his. Measure one, it should work, although Rock had a SOA conversion on his.

I should have noted that the driveshaft shop said that there was nothing wrong with either of my driveshafts. The balance was within spec., but were better balanced after the service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts