Drivers with Manual Tranny on their ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad AlbertoJr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The ST is the only manual tranny car I have ever owned so I can't compare this with any other car.

Summer is really kickin into gear here in Phoenix, and the AC in the truck has to be run almost as soon as you start it. My question is, have you ever noticed that shifting becomes harder when driving with the AC on? I expected that the lag in acceleration would be there, but the shifting difficulty was unexpected. Its mostly when going from a dead stop into first, second, and reverse. One I'm on the highway, it shifts normally. If i have to shift into first really fast I almost have to jam it in and I feel the resistance. I have a new clutch, slave, and master cylinder. It only does it with the AC on, and has done it ever since i bought the car several years ago (its an 02, got it in 03).

I'm interested to see if its just mine or if everybody's ST does that.

Thanks!

Conrad.

Other than affecting the RPM's, there is no real connection from the AC to the Tranny...

It sounds to me that there is a small amount of air in the system. Try this. Next time when you are at a stop and the AC is on, pump the pedal abut ten times before you try to put it into gear. If it goes in easier, then you need to bleed the line.

Could the extra heat be effecting the tranny fluid ???

When was the last time you changed the tranny fluid ???

Todd Z

Mine does it to! I have the same problem all the time. The dealer bled the line and said there was no air to begin with. I've noticed that if I crank the wheel one way or the other and then back to center I can get it into gear. I'm wondering if there is some problem causing the clutch to not engage all the way if the rpms are down. If you find out I'd love to hear how to fix it. I'll try the pumping of the clutch next time.

If i have to shift into first really fast

Why would you have to do that?? Seems you have discovered your own problem/solution: Don't jam it into 1st real fast. Don't see where there would ever be a reason to "jam" it into first unless stopped. I can understand engine braking through the other gears, although that wastes gas, but never first.

grump

I'd almost say its b/c of the lag of the a/c killing the RPMs. My '95 Ranger worked the same way like your describing and the only fix I found, was to not use the a/c. So I eventually just ended up deleting the a/c after I got bagged.

And I agree, you should never have to jam a gear into place just to make it work. B/c enough jamming will make that gear not work. Just food for thought.

Try living in South Texas without a/c. I've done it both with and without a/c, and life is definitely better with a/c. We use a/c down here most of the year.

But I've never had a problem with shifting any manual tranny vehicle I've owned with the a/c on.

MOST of the manual trannys out there are NOT 1st gear syncroed....

Thus simply put the tranny into second then into first and go....

My broncoII was like that...

Todd Z

Sometimes the first gear synchronizer can get messed up, natural because it gets used the most. It sorta works this way, if you're in the habit of shifting into first while the vehicle is still rolling it wears on the synchro. Then after a few years about the only way to get it into first is to do it while it's rolling. Also you can try engaging the clutch while it's in neutral, then disengage the clutch, give it a few seconds, then shift into first.

When I say shift fast, I mean im in the middle of the intersection in the left turn lane and theres a space for me to turn, or i'm daydreaming somewhere, miss the green light, and the person behind me is honking. Now, that doesn't mean I go racing around everywhere either. I know its not good for the car to jam something in anywhere, but at times its unavoidable.

Rodger, At about 75k I had to have both slave and master replaced (i have 87k now).

I first noticed this event a few weeks after I was driving my truck in stop and go traffic in Los Angeles back when it was around 34k. In LA i could drive with the windows down and be fine without AC, but Phoenix is WAY to hot to do that!

If you read my post about my tranny being trashed, I have now confirmed that that is the case and I am looking to replace it with a rebuilt. No air was found in the lines. Suspect that the tranny may be dry or what ever. But we won't know for sure what caused it to go until it is removed and opened up. Stand by for further updates.