Drivers window issue question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I searched back until 2008 but didn't see anything related so thought I would throw this out for the groups insight. My 04 drivers window seemed to slow down or be stuck however, I noticed that the top front dips down slightly and the rear barely moves as if the window is becoming askew in the tracks. If I put my finger in the small crack of the top rear and move it down it straights back up and the window will go down and back up properly. Issue doesn't reappear until you fully close the window and want to open it again.

So with that I do not believe that it is the switch or the motor and more of a regulator or bushing problem and need to see if anybody else has encountered this problem. I would like to get parts ordered so that I have them on hand next week or so when we get back above 50 degrees I can get this knocked out real fast. Any thoughts, part suggestions, or part vendor recommendations?

Before doing any major repair.....try this in the window tracks......ALL the tracks.:grin:

[Broken External Image]:

I don't recommend spraying anything in the window tracks. It will help short term but in the long run it will do more harm than good

I disagree l1tech, A year ago I thought my driver's door window motor was bad but then I lubricated the tracks as USN-ret described and it works fine now. I also used some Dry Teflon spray that I had a little of. I've seen no negative effects since and I am happy with how long the treatment has lasted. pb2624 - Definitely try this first before tearing things apart.

As long as you use a lubricant that does not contain a petroleum product you should be ok. The problem with lubricants that contain petroleum products is that they tend to become gummy and will eventually cause the window to stick even more and once that happens you end up replacing the whole window guide because you can't get the buildup out of them.

It sounds as if the adhesive that holds the window into it's bracket has come loose. Does it typically get crooked when you're lowering the window? If so, that's likely the problem. Going up isn't an issue, because the bracket is being pushed against the window and stays in place, but it needs to be able to pull on the front and back of the glass when going down to lower it smoothly. It's not a hard repair if so, just remove the door panel and add some adhesive to the bottom edge.

I had issue where this would happen and the window wore the track INSIDE the door. It was getting hung up on the rubber in the door and the hole would catch it and the window would go crooked. If I held it straight it worked fine.

Todd Z

Latest posts