Dreaded CEL back again!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so today I am driving to the fire station to go work and guess what pops up. You guessed it!!! So while at work today I cleaned my MAF for a second time and pulled off that elbow to the PCV and checked it for crack or tears. Nothing. So I cleaned it and reinstalled it. What elso could possible be making these P0171 and P0174 codes popping up over and over again. Could I possible need new O2 sensors? I don't know what other causes it could be. Someone please help because I am going crazy!!!!

did you get the plug for the intake ???

Did you plug the hole ??? or put tape over it to plug it.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an air leak from somewhere then, are all your couplers tight on the intake tube ???

I am sure the 02s are fine.... It seems like something else is going on...

Can you post a pic or 2 of the intake and stuff so we can see what it looks like, maybe we can help ??

Was your elbow the OEM one, or is it 5/8 heater hose..

Todd Z

This is what worked for me. Hose clamps on the OEM rubber elbows. I did this on the back elbow for the PCV.

Leading up to the hose clamps:

I cleaned everything else before and still got the CEL.

I never did find a crack in any of the hoses, THOUGH I replaced the Front Hose with a shortened plastic elbow and some heater hose.

See I thought I was had a slice some where in the PCV piping.

The PCV elbow hoses are intact but not as elastic as when new. From heat and oil, the hoses have deteriorated.

I read that hose are worse then you think because you only see the outside and what causes the hoses harm is on the inside.

The CEL is a total bummer, when you can't fix right away and have to goto work it can ruin your day.

This is what has worked or me so far...