Door Panel Inserts - Todd Z?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahul Sharma

Reaction score
Todd, can you help with some input on changing the leather/vinyl on the door inserts as you have done in you estate green trac? I have the panels off right now and that wrapped panel seems to be held in with plastic rivets that would break off all too easily....

Any advice wuold be greatly appreciated, i'd love to get the panels on soon, and i already have the material sitting in the garage.

I took a dremmel and slowly cut the plastic off the top just till it released the insert off the door panel...

I then 3m glued on the new leather right on top of the old stuff so it was still soft...

Punched the holes and cut it to the proper fit...

Then i used super small screws and washers and screwed the insert back on at each plastic rivet hole..

MAKE sure the screw does not poke the front of the panel or you Will get a white dimple on the front...

I am sure you could melt them off and re melt them back on, I just did not want to breath that melted plastic all day...

Hope that helps

Todd Z

Thanks Todd! Wasn't sure how you got them off/on...did you put a screw in each plastic rivet hole? do you happen to remember the size of screw? any pics of the back would be a great help...! but i think i understand what you did....

Rs,

Sorry i don't have sizes because the screws I used were the exact ones that you assemble a steel shed with, you know those small metal arrow deals.....

Yes i used a screw in every hole.

Sorry i don't have pics, But i am home if you want to call the number on my sponsors page i can help you with any more questions there..

Todd Z

Thanks for the offer! i think i get the idea about the screws...

i just spent the evening finishing glassing my tweeters in my a-pillars....and priming, and sanding, and priming, and sanding, and painting, and sanding, and painting and sanding.....after about 5 hours of sanding this weekend as well, i need a break....

Latest posts