Door Hinges

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len Jorgenson

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to (or had to) lubricate the door hinges on a 2009 (or newer) ST? My drivers side door is making some awful clunking sounds when I open and close it, and despite liberal application of WD-40 to the hinges, it doesn't stop. There's a funny looking little sealed cylinder on the bottom hinge that I believe is a "new and improved" method of door swing control, and I'm quite sure this is where the noise is coming from. Problem is, there's no apparent way to get any lubricant into it. Checked the door hinge bolts and they're all tight. No door alignment issues either.

I'll take it to the dealer if I have to, but it seems kind of silly to take it in for "door hinge lubrication".

WD-40 is a waste...... you need white lithium spray.... Thats what I used and it works great !!!

ALSO sometimes its not the hinges but the hold open arm.... Spray that too..... And the locks.

Todd Z

Check the bolts on the check strap. I'm not sure how those are built but if it has one thats loose it will pop when you open or close the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Z, exactly where did you spray the lube on the hold open arm? I get a clunking sound from the driver's side every time I drive on dusty roads which is just about every time I go hunting. Dealer claims it can't be lubed. I have sprayed the crap out of it with every type of grease known to mankind.

That was my point, Roger. You cannot lubricate the hold-open mechanism because it's that little sealed cylinder above the bottom hinge. Obviously, you asked the dealer about it, and they confirmed what I already suspected. I'm thinking about punching a small hole in the top of it, allowing access to spray lubricant inside. Would have to be careful with re-sealing it though (maybe a small rubber plug of some sort).

Len, I actually had the original part replaced under warranty. This is the second part and it does the same thing, but again, only after driving it in dusty conditions. I think it builds up dust inside the hold open mechanism until it gets to be a big enough glob that it "pops". Once that happens the noise goes away until I drive in dusty conditions again. The last time I took mine in it "popped" the first time I opened the door in front of a dealership employee. He said "I heard that!" He looked at it and agreed that it could not be lubricated. But it wouldn't do it again during that visit so the dealership claimed they never heard it. I even contacted Ford Customer Service because the dealership lied about hearing the sound. It didn't matter though because the end result was that the original part was covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty but because I did not purchase the replacement part it was not covered by any warranty. That's BS. I believe it is a design defect but Ford will never admit to it. I told Customer Service that I was not going to replace it at my own cost just so everyone who heard it would get to experience the sound of Ford quality.

Latest posts