Don’t like this noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kent Gorham

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Just recently I am hearing and feeling a popping sound when I do over bumps and sometimes when I turn and accelerate. Can’t see anything obvious. Definitely sounds suspension related but hard to diagnose when I am driving it. Any ideas out there?

What year? Like most trucks Sport Tracs are notorious for suspension parts wear. Lift the front tires off the ground and support with solid jack stands. Crawl under and inspect all suspension parts for wear or looseness. Lower and upper ball joints are usually the first to go. Also check both sway bar end links for failure. I avoid repair shops, but many will give free or inexpensive written inspections. Check Firestone, Goodyear, or other shops that specialize in front alignments.

Sorry, it’s a 2004 with 138,000 miles. I’ve had the wheel bearings replaced on the front at 96K and recently new shocks @ 130K. Seems like sway bars or control arm issue with the popping sound.

OE front sway bar end links are probably the first and most common suspension failure. Factory design uses small diameter bolts and hard bushings that tend to trap moisture resulting in bolt corrosion or bushings breaking. Early in my trucks life I had multiple failures after "upgrading" to Moog K7275 end links. Moog used strong 7/16" hardware, but failure prone thermoplastic rubber bushings. Finally gave in and decided to make custom "bulletproof" end links. No failures in over 10 years.

https://sporttrac.org/threads/bulletproof-front-sway-bar-end-links.123645/

Sway bar was my first thought as well. Not a major issue at least and my 2010 had problems with it.

Don't know about "smart". Learned 99% from others on these forums.

Also here long enough to hear another description of failed OE front sway bar end links.

Probably the cheapest and easiest suspension fix you'll ever do. Good luck!

Latest posts