dolby 7.1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason vocaty

Reaction score
Does any one have this set up yet? I just purchased a new receiver that includes this surround package , and was wondering your opinions or helpful suggestions.

I will be installing one shortly..... But don't have it yet...... I think it is a great idea and the ones I have heard are awesome !!

Todd Z

We have 7.1 in our basement. It is awesome. But depending on the room 7.1 may be no better than 5.1, Our basement is just one huge room basically so it needs the 7.1 to surround the area in front of the tv and then get the sound to the back of the room where the pool table is. However in my apartment here at school I have a 5.1 set up that used to be in the basement. It is perfect for the room since it is smaller. 7.1 would be over kill. But watching movies and stuff is awesome. I really like playing racing video games on it because you can hear the cars go past you. Its just another level of viewing pleasure;)

Speaker placement anyone? I already have two front, a center 2 above my chair in the ceiling and a sub built into the floor. Where should i put the next 2 speakers?:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
With a 7.1 system, the speaker placement should be somewhere like this:

[Broken External Image]:

My chair is up against the rear wall so perfect placement will not work. surrounds are over head should i put the speaker for 7.1 behind me or pointed at my ears? i can also change the ceiling mounted speakers into the rear surround and re adjust the new two. comment or suggestions appreciated before i cut out more drywall.

Is your receiver capable of tuning with a microphone? If so, it will help adjust levels to match as needed, so placement doesn't have to be perfectly precise in most cases. For your case, I would adjust the surrounds to be roughly 2/3 - 3/4 the distance from the seating to the screen. Let's say the distance is 16 feet - I would put the surrounds somewhere between 10.5 to 12 feet where possible and in the wall, not the ceiling. I would then put the back left and right speakers either in the ceiling and spread farther above you, or put them facing the screen in the rear wall around 7 feet high (also spread a little farther than normal). It is basically the same setup as above, only difference is your seating perspective will be different.

I just finished my basement and prewired for 7.1 and used Paradigm speakers for my setup. My room is not really the right size for a 'perfect' sound stage, but everyone that has come over has really enjoyed the setup. One of the best movies I can recommend to test with is one of the newer versions of Star Wars. You will hear sounds that you never knew were there... :)

Thanks cobra I really appreciate your input. Yes it is setup with a mic so that is a plus. For my current 5.1 setup Blackhawk down has an awesome soundtrack.