Doing business the old fashioned way...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
As some of you know, I own a 1961 Ford Galaxie Sunliner. Well recently the generator went out on it, and I pulled it out to get it fixed.

There is a starter / alternator repair shop local to me call C&C Starter & Alternator (Located in Raytown MO). The place is run by a few older getlemen and I have been doing business with them for over 25 years. When you drop off the item for repair, they write it down on a white board, along with your name & phone number. (This is how they have done business for scores of years, well before I found hem) They are open only on weekdays, and close at 4:00 on Fridays so the guys can go home early. :) If you live in te Kansas City area, check them out.

They tested the generator while I waited, and it was bad. Left it for repair and they called me about 3 days later stating it was done. Picked it up today, and the replaced the bearings and the brushes, cleaned the armature and coils. and the charge? $35.00. That it. In all my years, they have never tried to rip me off and have always been great to deal with. They dont tack on extra charges, do excellent work, and have a great loyal client base including me. IMO, Thats the true ticket to business success.

Another instance... The starter in my riding mower went out, and I checked prices on the internet and all over town. Cheapest one I could fine was $145.00. I took the starter to them on a whim and they do work on them, however when they dissasembled it, it was completely fried, and not economical to fix. They found one, ordered it, and had it in the next day for $80.00 brand new. (Not trying to make a huge profit, but just a fair one) Thats customer service!

Next time you need a starter, generator, alternator, etc... Check out your local rebuilder to see if they can make you a better deal than the local parts store. Not only might you get a better product, but you help keep the little guy in business. I am glad I did 25 years ago.

I just had to share my good experience!

Dave

Dave,

I hear you loud and clear. We used to have a Starter/Generator shop just off the Interstate near my house. They did the same thing as the shop in your town.

I once took them a starter that I was having problems with and it turned out that it was not the starter/. They checked it out and said there were some burned spots on the solenoid so the just reversed the contact disc and only charge me $10.

Since then I have taken other starter and alternators to them for repairs and they have always done great work at resonable prices...I have always recommended them to other famiy and friends who needed any kind of starter/generator/alternator work and everybody felt they did a great job at very reasonable prices.

As usual, they are not closed? I don't know why, but they were an old junky looking shop and I think people where skeptical about stopping there for repairs....but they were very good at what they did.

If they had a fancier shop with more high tech equipment and computers, they would not have done any better job, but would have probably had to charged more, and probably would have stayed in business longer. In the end, they stuck to doing business the old fashion way and so they were doomed to failure in time.

...Rich

We have a place here thats the same way.... Local small rebuilder..... Great people and allways get my business.....

ITs great to have shops like that around..

Todd Z

I used to have a small rebuilder shop, just down the road. A nieghbors son worked there.

They did exccelent work, reasonable cost.

Myself and freinds have had some things fixed for free or cost of the part.

I have seen them give folks good used parts free, for self repair.

Same way with a local hardware store. I have been given a sack full of parts and tools. Just pay for what I used or kept on return.

The oldest independent parts store in my nieghborhood was the same way. Also the guys behind the counter were, very versed in repair tips and tricks. Now when you ask for repair info. It is like, what, hughh, what you talking about Louis..:banghead:

Mom and pop bussinesses are no more around me...SAD..:sad:

Left it for repair and they called me about 3 days later stating it was done.

You didn't ask why it took so long?:bwahaha:

Glad you have a trusted place....

About two months ago I went to the local frame and alignment shop that I've always used, although it did get a new owner a few years ago. Tires on the Trac were wearing fine but I had never had it aligned so I figured it was due. He hooks up all the laser stuff on the wheels and I go sit down. A few minutes later he hands me the keys and says "There's nothing wrong with it, no charge".

Latest posts