Does brake pads wearout at 30,000 miles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Greetings! Recently I took my car for 30,000 miles service. Service representative told me that both front and rear brake pads has wore down. The dealer replaced front and rear brake pads and resurfaced both front and rear motors at a cost of $$357.34.The dealer also charged three hundred dollars for 30,000 miles service. This is a 2003 year model. I drive around 7,500 miles a year. I am an old man - 68 years old. Do you think dealer took advantage of an old man? Did any of you had to replace brake pads at 30,000 miles? With thanks.

What type of driving? Unless you're hard on the brakes, live on a mountain, or tow a trailer, I cannot imagine stock brakes going out at 30,000. My folks essentially live on a mountain and I drive Philly stop-and-go traffic. The Trac has 36,000 miles on it. And, at last check, the brakes were still at about half.

What was included in the 30,000 miles service?

Hmmm. I replaced my front pads at around 36,000 because of a warped rotor and the pads still looked pretty good, although I broke one of the pistons on the caliper because I wasn't aware the factory pads are glued to the pistons. lol. I usually ask the dealer to show me the old pads first so I can check to see how they are (assuming they don't show me some other ones). Never hurts to have the brakes up to par, though.

My 1st trac, 01ST, was owned by my boss for 1 year before I took over the lease, the brakes were shot right around 30,000. My second trac, an 03ST was traded in at 45K miles and still had original brakes.

Did you actually see the pads? I'm guessing they ripped you off. 25% pads left will last another 10-15K of miles on normal street driving maybe more. Yet, another reason the dealer never does my brakes. I can do them in my garage in 40 mins and I always do them with the Track Car and Race Car we own. We will go through 5-8 sets of brake pads in a season.

At 30k miles, Iam sure you got ripped off on the rear brake job. Rear brakes will last 2 to 3 sets of front brakes...

You eather ride the brakes alot or you got had by them. Brakes on the newer cars and trucks should be good for 60,000 to 100,000 miles good luck. Bill

Depends on the terrain where you live and what kind of driving you do. On most of my vehicles the fronts are good for about 30 to 35k. Once I had a job in the city for several years, I'd shift gears in my Mustang about 10 times and I was on the highway. Got 92k out of the OE rear brakes.

I have seen pads last anywhere from 10,000 miles to 60,000 miles.

There are alot of variables that not one person can diagnose if it was too soon or not. My wife's Pontiac, then girlfriend, had pads wear out at 15,000 miles. Replaced them with cheap Autozone pads and they then went 40,000 miles on the pads. Same driving, same terrain, etc.

Tom

I still have my originals on my 01 ST. I have just under 60,000 miles. I just in the past couple of weeks started having problems. It goes in tomorrow to Ford for service and see how much lighter my billfold will get after the brake work.:lol:

30K miles for replacing the front pads is not unheard of. For me it's on the low side, but a lot depends on your driving habits. However most people will get two or three front brake jobs before they need to replace the rear pads or shoes. The front does 70% of the braking so the rear brakes get very little wear.

I suspect that the dealer seen you coming and took some liberties with the brake job, The fronts may have been close and not a major isssue, but the rear brakes needing replacement is very questionable!

...Rich

i had to replace my frond pads at 25k miles (2005 ST) :rolleyes:

wen braking i had a metal to metal sound and my red brakelight stay'd on,so i know thy were gone :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: