Do ST front rotors have the "SEIZE" problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
My 2002 4wd Trac needs new front brakes & rotors. (I am currently replacing the same stuff on my Hyundai & the rotors are seized to the hub) While looking online I keep reading that this is a common problem with the Expeditions & F150 trucks, so before I tear into my Trac I need to ask.... Are the 1st Gen 4WD Tracs notorious to the front rotors seizing to the hubs were you need to basically BREAK them off??

Thanks

I have had to tap them loose, but on all the sport tracs and explorers i have worked on, I have not seen this on the Sport Trac at all.

Todd Z

THANK GOD!

The Elantra went to the garage to have them taken off...I GAVE UP.

Penetrating oil, propane torch, hammer, puller, would not budge. When I saw the videos about the Expeditions I was DREADING!

Thanx for giving me calm Todd. :grin:

A little PB Blaster, let sit for a few minutes then sharp whack with mallet or sledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
2004 Sport trac. Changed all four rotors with Ohio rust on mine. A good couple whacks around the rotor with a sledge pops them free no problem. Don't forget to check if they have retainers on the lug nuts that may need to be pried off with a screw driver. I didn't have any problems with mine and they were very rusty. I also replaced my hubs at the same time since one was bad.

On stubborn rotors I have let the vehicle onto the rotor and moved the vehicle to get them to pop. Or 5 lbs sledge hammer whacking it from the backside. On the Sport Trac mine came right off though.

Not sure if this is a good idea, but I broke my rears free by slightly loosening the lugs and hitting the brakes after rolling slowly about 10 feet. Sledge, PB, and torch didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cabrera, my 2006 Elantra had a set screw that held the rotor to the hub. That took me a while to remove. I still had to use a mallet on the rotor after I removed it.

Well the 2002 ST's rotors just dropped out. No issues, no problems. The replacement of pads & rotors took me 15 minutes. I was concerned they would have the dreaded F150 rotor seize issue

I was so happy that I didn't have to deal with the Hyundai fight. Even after I drilled out the set screws, soaked it PB Blasted, used a propane torch & BEAT the rotors with a baby sledge hammer, I wound up taking to a shop for them to remove them & reassemble.

Thanks everyone for the help. :banana:

Latest posts