Distilled water

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave King 2

Reaction score

I was wondering if water taken from a dehumidifier could be used anywhere distilled water is called for? I would think it would be ok for batteries and steam irons and the like. Any thoughts?

Yep,,,

You are correct..

I know a family that drank it. I would imagine it would be fine, but I just stuck with tap water...

Johnny O,

Distilled water is often recommended for baby formula, so I'm not sure if what you heard is 100% accurate. I do understand that some health advocates say that by drinking distilled water exclusively you may be depriving your body of minerals it needs, minerals found in tap and spring water, but removed by the distillation process.

Either way, drinking distilled water won't harm you, it just may not give you as many minerals as drinking regular water. So, I guess instead of saying "not good for you", a more accurate judgement might be: "not harmful, but arguably not as good for you as regular water."

TJR

Distilled water is perfectly fine to drink. I usually drink it for 2 weeks then switch to one week or regular water, repeat. just have to make sure you are getting your minerals as TJR stated. It helps clean the body out. Not sure on exactly how, but i know body builders will drink it one week before a show to help somehow.

But I wouldn't drink water from a dehumidifier. but sure, use it for whatever else.

I've been drinking city water through an Reverse Osmosis unit for at least 25 years. The RO units now are very affordable compared to what I paid in the 80's. No problems here. You don't get any mineral, chemical taste wiih it. I'm not so sure that having "acceptable amounts" of chlorine and fouride running through your body is good for you.

My kids love RO water "pure water"!

I wouldn't drink the water out of a home dehumidifier because of the bugs you are opening yourself up to.

TJR...thanks. I do remember that when my son was born he had problems with every baby formula there was. At one point it hit me that maybe the problem wasn't the formula. I bought the refillable filtered water at the grocery store to mix with it and he was fine after that. Frankly I think the tap water here is perfectly fine, but we've used a Brita pitcher for the last few years for our drinking water.

Truly distilled water is boiled to steam then condensed back into water. The water that a dehumidifier puts out is only chilled, condensed water from the atmosphere. It dumps into an unclean, open container. I believe its only good for pouring down the drain. I wouldn't use it for anything.

dehumidifier water is not the same as distilled water. Dehumidifier water is full of bacteria and dirt from the air. Legionaire's disease can come from dehumidifier water.

I wold not use dehumidifier water for anything but watering plants, but I pour mine down the drain.

Latest posts