Disable ABS Temporarily ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a 2002 ST 4WD that has started to have a problem with the ABS. It is kicking in when coming to a stop on dry pavement, like when you are going very slowly. Took it to the local mechanic and he said their computer didn't kick out any data and said to take it to Ford dealer. I'm going out of town on Wednesday and won't have time to get it in before then. How can I temporarily disable the ABS for now ?

Thanks!

Should be able to pull the fuse. (Will make the ABS light stay on, and possibly the brake light, but will disable the ABS) By the way, you problem may be the rear ABS sensor.

Dave

Under the hood for sure, I don't remember which one but I did the same thing when I was having the same problem. My problem turned out to be bad tone ring(s) on my new front rotors.

Found it, pulled it, and all is better (at least until winter). Just need to make an appt. to see what the real problem is.

Thanks everyone.

clean the sensors or if you just did rotors make sure they are the right ones..

The ABS is safety equipment...

Todd Z

My ABS was acting up about the time my front hub bearing went bad. You may want to jack it up and give the front wheels a shake before you take a trip.

As the others pointed out, if any service was done, you may need to revisit that area.

It is very common to get an incorrect toner ring when replacing hubs and rotors. If this is the case, it will not read the same as the other three wheals and assume that specific tire is skidding.

Or 2 locations if you have a single rear sensor..

I had a ABS problem and could not find a code . It cleared up when I replace the burned out 3rd brake light bulb. I was told the ABS runs thru the 3RD brake light and it is a leading cause of a ABS light on in early 2000 model Ford trucks.

Latest posts