Digital Odometer light comes on and off . . .

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My '05 sport trac has a fully working instrument panel, except for the mileage. The digital numbers come on and off intermittently. Sometimes if I hit the top of the dashboard the mileage lights up. I'm thinking a wiring harness/instrument cluster needs to be replaced, but the Ford dealership quoted me for over $500 to fix. Has anyone done this themselves and how difficult is it to take apart the dash and replace the wires? Thanks in advance for any advice!

My thought is, not the wireing. Most likely the mother board for the gauge assy. Probably a crack in one of the traces on the PC board. Ford probably gave you a quote on the whole assy. If so there are places you can buy rebiult assy, with trade in.

Not that hard if you are familiar with tools. We have had members pull thiers to replace the backlighting. Do a search.

Could be a bad back light bulb too.

See the projects section on replacing the bulbs.

May just find a cheep easy fix there.

Todd Z

I have a similar problem. The speedometer, tachometer, and odometer occasionally go out (the odometer shows dashes and the needles freeze on the others). I assume it's a bad solder or two on the rear of the board because with a hit to the dash or bump in the road, they occasionally come back. Next weekend's project is to remove the cluster and, with a magnifying glass stand, inspect and solder away. It seems to be a common problem for F-150s of the same era.

Last edited by a moderator:
You most likely need a new cluster. I had the same problem thinking it was a wire harness issue. I could press on the face of the cluster and it would come back on for a while. but it wasn't the harness. I went to US Speedo in Flint Michigan and for $250 they put in a new/used cluster and now it works correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts