Differential Whine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody ever have to replace the gears in their differential. (ring & pinion)

I see on Explorer Forums there is "the Whine" comes from the gears going bad in the differential. I have a 2003 Sport Trac.

Wondering if it could be a wheel bearing(hoping!!!)

Thank in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
It can bearings or a bearing. I would find a good independent that does differential work. The ones that work on performance cars differentials are the ones I have always trusted.

I had this happen and the dealer told me it was nothing at first. Then I drove for about two weeks until I noticed slippage. THen it ended up costing me $2000 for a new rear because one of the axel bearings popped, pitted the case and chewed the gears.:angry: Make sur you take care of this asap because if the dealer had noted it properly they could have simply replaced the bearings instead of the whole axel.

there were a lot of issues with the IRS differential in the newer explorers...

does yours whine only during acceleration or deceleration? wheel bearings ususally dont whine so much as roar or grind...

Mostly bad ring and pinion whines during deceleration. When the noise gets louder don't neglect it otherwise its gonna cost you more. Axle bearing usually roars or grind at all speed. I would check the diferrential gear lube first.

I had a pinion bearing on a '78 dodge van that was replaced because of a whinning. Most likely the bearing was causing improper backlash. I have had axle bearings make a roaring.

Mine wines above 60 mph. Over here we usually don't go over 60 so I figure that it will last. I have had lats of old cars whine for a long time.

Good luck Ed

Latest posts