Differential lube?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
Hey trac-ers! I need to change out the front and rear differential fluids in my 01 Trac 4x4. Not sure which gear oil I should use. My axle code is 42. I don't know if this is limited slip, conventional, etc. actually, I don't really know anything about axles! Should I use synthetic oil? What brand do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Wait for Vic ; ) 42 = 4:10 Non Limited Slip (Conventional)

I have only one Amsoil product in my ST, and it's Severe Gear lube. After much research including BITOG, decided it was worth the extra effort to get it. Do I notice a difference?

No, just peace of mind knowing I have a tried and proven gear lube in there for at least another 50K. Interesting gear lube comparison linked below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Front and rear standard diffs will take 80W-90 or 75W-90; we have both and there's no appreciable difference between the two. If your rear diff is limited slip Ford asks for 75W-140 synthetic lube. Check the identiplate on your door pillar. Severe Gear also comes in that viscosity, as well as 75W-110. If you want the LS additive we make a product called Slip Lock. All products available at wholesale by using the Preferred Customer program, a real money-saver. PM me for details.

Mine is 4x2 only. When I installed the rear powertrax unit. I went with the heavy shock proof Red Line syn lube. Cant say It helped. It hasnt' hurt, and after many thousands of miles. With my torturing it. No problems and, the rear is very quiet.

Red-Lines claim is the shock-proof is. 40% more coating between moving parts when cold. 250% when hot. Used in racing aplications mostly.

The only way to change the front diff lube is to go to the Valvoline Quicky Lube and have them do it with their suction machine. You cannot get the front diff cover off with the diff in the truck. Your home suction gun will not work either. I know this to be true first-hand.

At $49.99 per axle it may not be worth the hassle of doing the rear yourself either.

On my wife's 2000 Explorer (same as the 1st gen Sport Trac), I just pulled the drain plug on the front differential and then pumped new fluid in the top plus.

Rather simple and I didn't have to visit the Jiffy Lube dorks.

Tom

Latest posts