Difference between 01 and 03 calipers ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
ok,

I have researched this and I know I have heard of members with 04 and up putting on 01 calipers..

I think the 01 are a metal piston and the 03 and up are phenolic (plastic)...

All the parts stores here don't carry the 03 caliper in stock... Rockauto can ship it to me.

BUT everyone stocks the 2001 Front caliper...

From looking at it there appears to be no difference at all.

Can any one confirm they will work ???

I just don't want to buy them and try it...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you this much for sure.

The 01 and 02 are the same part numbers. They DO NOT fit the 03 and up as far as my software can tell me.

The 03 to 05 are the same part numbers and DO NOT fit the 02 and down.....

On my '04 the fronts are metal, and the rear are the plastic crap. Don't know the difference or why, but yes, thats what it is.

Rich,

Did you buy your truck new or used ???

All the parts listings call for the plastic on your fronts ???

I wounder if some one changed them ??

Todd Z

I got it brand new with 9 miles on it. The fronts looked like the metal kind. They had a different color compared to the rear. The rear, I could tell it was some base of plastic and it was black. I could be wrong though. Just looked for a brief second while changing the pads.

I don't think it makes any difference if the piston is metal or plastic, but the piston bore must be the same size. That may be where the difference is.

I suspect that they had a lot of problems with the metal pistons corroding and sticking. That's probbaly why they went to the plastic pistons when they went to rear disk and that required a change in the piston size.

...Rich

Latest posts