Did we get him?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is a bit of damage control going on. I think the majority of folks are happy Bin Laden will never threaten us again. However, some are disgusted that an unarmed man was shot down in cold blood. As far as I know, there was never a trial in the 10 years since 9-11 that determined he was responsible for any attacks (many trials occur with the defendant absent).

So many things look bad in this situation. We entered an allied nation without permission, and then killed an unarmed person in front of his small children. Then we tossed his body in the ocean. This is not the America I grew up in. I was always taught to love the sinner and hate the sin. I was also taught that you never shoot an unarmed man.

Even in war there must be rules of engagement. The Geneva Convention forbids the killing or maltreatment of prisoners of war. From the details I have read, Bin Laden was captured alive (at which point he would normally be considered a POW), then he was executed. Our President is a Harvard Law graduate. He should be more aware of this than anyone else.

If we expect our enemies to treat our POWs in accordance with international laws and treaties, then we must abide by them ourselves. Water boarding, holding without trial and executing prisoners will only encourage our enemies to do the same or worse.

I know where you are coming from with that post and agree...in principle.

But where in the world would he have received a fair trial from a jury without any preconceived notions about his involvement? He took pride in his admission of guilt regarding 9/11.

There are a number of other things I could cite to defend his execution, including history, but I think this situation passes the morality test of most Americans. It troubles me as a Christian, a constitutional geek, and a person who tries to believe there is good in everyone. It doesn't bother me that international "conventions" were ignored as I believe in 100% sovereignty of nations. I also think that if Pakistan has a problem with it, bring it to our front door and confront us on it. It doesn't bother me that UBL is dead because of his evil, but I am bothered in that human lives are not some sort of zero sum game.

Latest posts