Did a small tune up. What a pain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Sundown

Reaction score
Did a tune-up Sunday. Changed oil. got wrong filter. there are 2 that show up in books. A 22mm and 3/4. I got the 3/4 and it was wrong. Changed plugs to bosch platinum2. what a nightmare. The last one on the rear passenger side took a piece of skin off trying to get that one. Finally got it from the wheel well. I took about an 1 hour. I can remember doing these on my import cars and it was so much easier like 20 minutes to do everything. I also had added a Gunk motor flush before I did it. I also added some Murphey's oil in the tank. After all this the truck is a lot more responsive.

Have to agree with Caymen on this one, do a search on this site and you will find numerous people that were very unhappy with the Bosch plugs.

they didn't have motorcraft in stock at the parts store that day so i took the next one up. But I had motorcrafts before and don't feel any difference. It actually feels a lot more responsive now even thought they are new plugs. I don't believe in buying everything stock replacement because stock sucks. They all have an expire time on them for Dealer service reasons. I only have 56,000 miles. Old plugs was still clean. I guess I have to see in a couple of days if it acts up.

jsundown, stock is not crap. Autolite double platinums (which they should have in stock) would have been a better choice. If you think it runs nice now, put in some Autolites or Motorcrafts and feel the difference.

they didn't have motorcraft in stock at the parts store that day so i took the next one up. But I had motorcrafts before and don't feel any difference. It actually feels a lot more responsive now even thought they are new plugs. I don't believe in buying everything stock replacement because stock sucks. They all have an expire time on them for Dealer service reasons. I only have 56,000 miles. Old plugs was still clean. I guess I have to see in a couple of days if it acts up.

true that. These shocks are too soft for this truck. ordering the edelbrock shocks for lowered explorers. part no. 3389 and 3489.

i put the bosch platinums in my last truck and my mileage went down

almost 2MPG i did some research on the net and found that everyone that had installed

the platinums had the same problem and when they went back to stock

they picked up the lost mileage.

i swithed back to plain old plugs and sure enough back came my fuel mileage.

what i found online was if the vehicle didnt come from the factory with platinum

tipped plugs dont use them as mileage and somtimes performance will suffer.

thanks for the advice. I really don't keep up with my mileage,but I still feel a lot better response with these plugs. And no way in hell am I changing them until another few miles. the last one was a pain in my butt. The shocks you got are they the same ones I am getting for lowered ST's I am getting the front in Edelbrock and the rear in KYB. Got the KYB at a local parts store for $65.00 each rear. and $72.00 each edelbrock 3389 for the front free shipping. I can't complain. Waiting for my sway bar from Zabteck at the picnic

A known fact in the ST community is that the Edelbrock shocks are garbage. Mine went about a year. They leaked and the bushings were trashed. Replaced them with Monroe Reflex and sent the Edelbrocks back. Edelbrock replaced them free of charge...after I pad $40.00 to send them back.

Gave them to my brother for his 1999 Explorer. In 10 months they are leaking again. We will be replacing his Edelbrock shocks with either KYB or Bilstein shocks.

The Edelbrock shocks will either be thrown away or sent back for free replacement then sold on ebay to a sucker that thinks they are good shocks.

Of all the things I have ever purchased for my Trac, the Edelbrock shocks are the only things I regret.

Please do yourself a favor and forget about the Edelbrock shocks. Seriously, forget about them. They suck!!!

Tom