Diagnostics help needed!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcarroll02

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Over the holiday break, i have replaced both valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, plugs, wires, and coil pack. Twice today about 15 mins apart, the truck bucked some and then stalled. $130 tow bill for 16 miles! Wont start now, but turns over. Ran a scan on it. Pulled up the following: P0325, P0351, P0352, P0353, P1401, P0171, and P0174. The ones about vacuum leak im sure are from the bad purge valve vacuum hose(which i was headed to parts store to replace!) I know p0325 is the knock sensor. There was a little coolant in the valley from removing the coolant lines to remove intake, but the plug end of it, both wires were stripped back and were making contact, so i taped them individually and then together to seal them back up. I just know this has to be something rather simple, but i cant understand it. Please help if you can. 2001 sport trac with job 2 engine

You've got several issues; best to work them one at a time,
don't try to fix everything at once, so that you can differentiate between problems+fixes.
Reset TroubleCodes after each part is replaced\repaired & try to start+drive,
see what new TroubleCodes pop up.
I would start with the Ignition Coil problem.
Click here for more info on OBD2 Scanners & link to full list of TroubleCodes.

p1000 = Test Results In Progress\Pending
Ignore This.

p0171 = Cylinder1+2+3 RghtBank1 Too Lean
p0174 = Cylinder4+5+6 LeftBank2 Too Lean
Commonly due to Vac leak at PCV Elbows\Tubes\Hoses or Throttle\IACValve\EGR\IntakeManifold Seals.

p0325 = KnockSensor1 CircMalFunc
KnockSensor (glorified microphon), mounted in EnginV, 2WireHarnessPlug on right side of IntakeManifoldThroat.
Commonly due to damaged wiring\connection; repair\replace.

p0351 = IgnitionCoilA CircMalFunc
p0352 = IgnitionCoilB CircMalFunc
p0353 = IgnitionCoilC CircMalFunc
Bad IgnitionCoilPack or bad wiring\connection.
Click here for more info on CoilPack+Wiring+Plugs.

p1401 = DiffPresFeedbackElement CircHi
DPFE is a NotoriousFailureItem due to melted riser hoses or sensor body.
Replace with new HiTempHoses & MotorCraft sensor, not cheap asian copy.
Clean ExhaustRiserTubes with CarbThrottleSpray.
Click here for more info on DPFESensor+EGRValve.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You've got several issues; best to work them one at a time,
don't try to fix everything at once, so that you can differentiate between problems+fixes.
Reset TroubleCodes after each part is replaced\repaired & try to start+drive,
see what new TroubleCodes pop up.
I would start with the Ignition Coil problem.
Click here for more info on OBD2 Scanners & link to full list of TroubleCodes.

p1000 = Test Results In Progress\Pending
Ignore This.

p0171 = Cylinder1+2+3 RghtBank1 Too Lean
p0174 = Cylinder4+5+6 LeftBank2 Too Lean
Commonly due to Vac leak at PCV Elbows\Tubes\Hoses or Throttle\IACValve\EGR\IntakeManifold Seals.

p0325 = KnockSensor1 CircMalFunc
KnockSensor (glorified microphon), mounted in EnginV, 2WireHarnessPlug on right side of IntakeManifoldThroat.
Commonly due to damaged wiring\connection; repair\replace.

p0351 = IgnitionCoilA CircMalFunc
p0352 = IgnitionCoilB CircMalFunc
p0353 = IgnitionCoilC CircMalFunc
Bad IgnitionCoilPack or bad wiring\connection.
Click here for more info on CoilPack+Wiring+Plugs.

p1401 = DiffPresFeedbackElement CircHi
DPFE is a NotoriousFailureItem due to melted riser hoses or sensor body.
Replace with new HiTempHoses & MotorCraft sensor, not cheap asian copy.
Clean ExhaustRiserTubes with CarbThrottleSpray.
Click here for more info on DPFESensor+EGRValve.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, i replaced pvc valve and elbows while i had the valve covers off. The coil is brand new, along with plugs and wires. I did repair the knock sensor wiring at plug, had bare wires exposed(possibly someone before me was doing something?) I suspect the lean condition is due to the vapor canister purge valve vaccum hose( goes from valve to intake, behind throttle body, 3/8" hose) being deteriorated, and which i was heading to parts store to replace. The dpfe was 2nd next to repair. Theres still a bad oil leak when driving, tow truck operator says it where the engine oil cooler lower line connects to radiator.

The crank no start issue i found to be a bad pigtail connector on the coil. Replaced that and been running great. I did replace the dpfe sensor and tubes as well as replaced the vacuum hose going to the purge solenoid under the battery tray. Runs much better now, although i will be pulling engine later on this year to do timing cassettes.

Hey MCAROLL, hope you keep posting your progress and upgrades. Hope to follow your progress as I begin mine, including maybe wrapping it similar to maverick I used as avatar (whatever that is?)

Latest posts