department of boost. gt450 kit as a SC option.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad linkhart

Reaction score
just contacted the department of boost about their gt450 kit. its a gt500 blower with everything needed to adapt it to the 4.6 3v and intercooler. they claim uo to 750 hp which is way more than needed. the price is 4300 which is a lot cheaper than other options and this should be pretty reliable. what are your guys thoughts worth it or no.

also includes fuel system upgrades and with the adapter plate opens things uo that if you want to upgrade to even a 4.0 blower the option is there hmmmm.

Sounds like a good deal, but what about custom tunes? You can't just slap the blower on and go. You're still gonna have to write a new tune for the engine with that huffer. Unless you have a mechanic with a dyno that can hook you up on the cheap with a custom tune, you're still gonna have to shell out at least another $400 for a tuner and custom tunes from someone like Torrie.

It says ALLOVER their site you MUST custom tune the truck......They don't provide the tune or tuner...

Read the instructions to install..... YOUCH !! LOL

I just wonder how the kit fits on the ST and what is needed to make work.

It is a good dam deal thought

Todd Z

so just talked to jason over a DOB and he confirms it will work with the st. the only change would be modifing the CAI which is not a biggy and right now its on a group buy for 3800. and as far as a tuner torrie already knows its coming from me lol. Infact just got my first tunes from him this week havent had a chance to load them yet but im sure they will be great went with 93 and 87 performance tunes. and i have seen a couple stangs they have done and they are getting great #s especially when its half the cost of a typical blower set up.

and let be honest even with 600 for a custom dyno tune ur at 400+ being conservative with less than 5k that is amazing bang for buck lol

also includes fuel system upgrades and with the adapter plate opens things uo that if you want to upgrade to even a 4.0 blower the option is there hmmmm.

from what I was told it should clear no problem. The tuner they use on the stangs is Lito or manuel pazo. I'm sure torrie could likely take care of us but lito has 200+ of these set ups under his belt on the stangs. the rwhp is 450 on the stangs so with drive train loss on our sta being about 5% higher 420 or so is what a very conservative set up should get us. or 525 fly wheel hp. check out their web site it has a ton of good info. you have to remember though this isn't a plug and play kit and most shops that will sell you a blower for a sta won't install this. But from what I read of the instructions if you're decent at wrenching not a pro set aside 3 days or so to go slow and safe and you can handle it. Another thing I read on a forum depending on where you are or if you want to travel there is a guy in Kansas that will install for a round 800 which is a freaking steal.

[email protected] this goes to Jason one of the head guys. If you happen to get Alex just let them know that Chad (talked to Jason) mentioned this kit to you and your interested. Maybe with enough interest from us ST guys we can get a extra run of kits for those of us who won't be able to make the order by mid Jan.

Just a thought if there is enough of us who want to tackle this we can get a good project board with all the how to going. That will make it easier for others in the future or we can convince Todd to reverse engineer a kit for us and make it super easy :bwahaha: not matter though we all need this in our lives.:driving:

I assume the Walbro fuel pump that comes with the GT450 kit replaces the in-tank pump on a Mustang. Will that pump work in the Sport Trac's tank? If not, can they recommend a pump that will or is there another alternative? Also sounds like no matter what pump you use you should probably upgrade the wiring to the pump to handle the required voltage.

What about the exhaust system? They seem to suggest that it's not necessary to switch to tubular headers on a street driven Mustang. Also not much gain with shorties. Can the same be said for the Explorer and ST exhaust manifolds? They state that a restrictive exhaust will raise the boost level. Have you asked what boost can be expected using the GT450 kit with the factory Explorer exhaust manifolds? Will the stock pistons and rods handle that amount of boost? Can you run this combo safely on 91 octane gas with the stock manifolds?

I'll try to answer what i can here. as far a fuel to my knowledge that system should work. i myself think i would try to find a way for the gt500 double pump to work. if this wont work im sure the system that others have used in SC apps would work. the headers arent s huge deal because the supercharger can get that number on its own. boost isnt the enemy power is. thats why you never see only run xx amount of boost its xxxrwhp is starting to flirt with disaster. for example that number is 450rwhp on the stang considering typical loss is around 15%. so the magic number is about 525 flywheel plus or minus a few on the 4.6 3v. on our truck it seems like 20% loss is more realistic so 415-425 is our safe zone alteast if the tune is good. can you crank out more yes last I seen superchargedsvt is over 500rwhp on e85. if you dont abuse it all the time i can see it lasting a bit but you better trust the crap out of the tuner you are using because your motor is in their hands. manuel pazo or better known as lito has done hundreds of these kits on stangs so he has the experience. Us st guys will have to do a few things different than the stang guys but again its not a drop in kit and you at half the cost of other options. i havent asked torrie if he could tune this remote yet but after the tune i just got on my sta I hope he can he does amazing things with this truck. from what i have gathered looks like the Cai will be our biggest hurdle and that could be solved with relocating the battery PITA yea but if i can save thousands of dollars and have a ton more potential in the futer than our other options ill take it. jason at DOB assured me that if we miss the window this time around for the group order he will have kits available thoughout the year. the next group buy or big production run will be jan 2018. he did mention though if we have enough interest here they may do a second run this yr. i'd say if 5 or more of us take the plung Todd sets up a meet somewhere that has the garages that the public can use and we all have a gaint learning experience lol.

also that 20% stated above is on the 2wd like mine its like 5-10% higher on the awd sta and 4x4 gen2s. but that is just a guess so dont quote me.

At what boost level does stock head bolts, ring gap, pistons and rods become a concern on the 3V 4.6?

When I think boost and engine longevity I think forged everything with sloppy rings.

supercharged svt is at 500awhp and 12psi on e85 for thousands of miles. rule of thumb is 450whp is the safe zone. so basically other crap will break because of power rather than xx amount of boost. example billy bob can blow his up at 8psi boost because he had every mod under the sun aside from forged and had 5xxrwhp and tommy had a completly stock motor on 12psi and 450rwhp. you will always meet the stock limit of power before limit of boost. in this example it just shows exibit a is more effiecent and making power but a motor is only as good as its weakest link. which is the pistons and rods in this case which are safe up to about 525 flywheel hp .

Latest posts