De-tuning my '10 STA a little

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
I installed a K&N CAI on my STA V8 along with a Zabteck TB and a Torrie Tune. The intake sound with both the K&N and the TB is a little too strong for my old ears, so I removed the CAI and put the stock intake back on. The CAI is up for sale on the Swap & Sell board if there is any interest.

:driving:

thx

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree on the noise level from the K&N. I was surprised at how much louder it is than the stock tube with the KTM cone filter I had on it previously. I have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage though so I think I will put up with the increased noise level. Besides, when I start to hear the intake roar I know its time to back off if I want to save a little fuel. I imagine it will be a little annoying next time I pull the box trailer but that doesn't happen very often. :driving: :grin:

Could you leave the Stock Air box and just use the aftermarket pipe and hoses? Just a thought...

Todd Z

On my K/N it seems to have more of a harmonic tone than just the big rush of air at say medium to lighter throttle positions. It doesn't bother me much really. But, if does bother you, you could use the spray can style of tool dip ( plasti-dip or Rustolium flex-dip) and spray the exterior of the plastic tube. The dense rubber will soak up and deaden some of the harmonic tone. If you don't like it, you could peel it off later. I have sprayed inner roofs and walls of vehicles with the stuff to decrease sound and help lower decibels in vehicles.

Latest posts