DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the link below.

As I have said, DRL's work in some area's. The terain and light in the US do not recieve the benefits that places like Norway, Sweeden, Finland, Iceland, and even northern Canada recieve.

Tom

My porblems is that I have a canadian ST (Im in edmonton, Alberta) but I wanna put in HID's, now DRL's run at a lower wattage and sometyimes you get a very faint flashing soprt of light from the HID's if they are now supplied with the proper wattage which then can result in shortage bulb life....

Dallas

I have a 2001, that I bought new in June 2000. The DRL's were not standard but could be added on. I had DRL's & automatic headlights at the dealer. I personally wish all vehicles had them. When lighting is poor such as in the rain, fog or other times when you don't normally have your lights on. Also some cars or trucks because of their color can blend into to color of the road at times. Now the bright white headlights are just blinding!

Darrel,

Most states require you to run your headlights when there is limited visibility. I know for a fact, in Ohio, whenever your windshield wipres are on, you must have your headlights on. Common sense dictates whenever there is limited visibilty, such as fog, snow, rain, twilight, you turn on your headlights.

Another point, taillights. in fog and rain, your taillights should be on with your headlights. Many times I have almost his someone because I could not see them when they were in front of me. I had my lights on, they didn't. Maybe they had DRL and thought they were good to go. They werent. if they would have turned on the lights instead of just relying on the DRL's, they would have been seen better.

Tom

My 01 has a hole in the dash for the drl sensor, no drl from factory. I wouldn't have bought it if it did.

I don't need a sensor. I drive with my headlights on all the time. It doesn't take much discipline to turn on the damn lights when you drive the car, you learned how to put your seatbelts on after all those years right? I never drive without my headlights.

Why not have DRL? Here are some reasons: "recon", "problem resolution", "sex in a parking lot", "drug dealing", "undercover policework", "stopping alien invation" I'm sure you can think of plenty of others.

For example, I did some recon and followed my whore ex-girlfriend to a parking lot, where she got into another dude's car and had sex with him. He then got out and bought some drugs from some guy in the car next to him. I promptly alerted the undercover police officer in the cars next to me of the situation. They immediately arrested them all and shot her boyfriend because they thought he had a very small gun in his hand. It wasn't a gun, he forgot to zip up his fly. While this was occuring, because there were no lights, aliens landed in the parking lot and attempted to start an invasion. The police and I grabbed weapons and fended off the invading alien forces. As they flew away, we shouted "We're ain't Tom Cruise, you bit**es!! This is New York, not Hollywood!!" and commented how lucky we were not to have Daytime Running Lights.

I have an interesting scenario for zombie attacks and the right to bear arms also.

But seriously, I think there should be a way to disable DRL, whether I'm watching wildlife, capping bad guys, evading capture, or at a romantic scenic overlook.

nobleman,

Are you saying it should be a choice? Shame on you!!! :D

ABS brakes, airbags, stability control, etc., etc., etc., make people, as a whole, dumber. I am smart enough to know when I should turn my lights on.

If it is raining, turn on your lights. Want DRL's, turn on your lights. Foggy, turn on your lights. Plain and simple.

Want better drivers? Education! It is too easy to get a drivers licence. Anyone can drive. People don't use the turn signal, they drive with thier high beams on all the time even when not needed. They run red lights and speed in school zones.

Proper training will all but eliminate those problems.

The same goes with gun control. I am a firm believer in the right to bear arms. Because some retard does not secure thier gun properly and thier child shoots themself with it does not mean I should surender my gun(s). Again, proper training will all but eliminate those problems.

My family is into hunting. Personally, it does not intrest me. I have killed a deer before, but before I was allowed to pick up a gun, I had to know the do's and don't with gun safety. I learned to respect guns. I did not have a fetish with branishing a gun. I knew it was a tool that can be used for good and bad.

An Ax can be used to chop wood and it can also be used to kill. Heck, a shovel can kill someone. A shovel can also be used to dig a hole to buy a pet that has died.

I was raised around alcohol. Dad had a beer cooler with a keg in it. I did not sneak around and fill a glass to drink. I knew better. My parents trained me on the proper use of alcohol.

A girl Theresa used to work with was so dumb, and I am not kidding, she never turned her lights on because they were always on. She had DRL's. Someone like that should not be allowed to drive.

Tom

I think DRLs are awesome and should be required.

Glad that the '04 has them as an optional setting, but I wish Ford would hardwire them on all the time.

Seriously, though, Caymen, DRLs save lives. Education, IMHO, will only go so far. I understand you want and need as little automation and safety devices between you and your driving experience as possible, but frankly, the good of the many outweigh the "desires" of the few (again, IMHO). Education won't make ALL people turn on their lights at dusk, or on during a rain storm; and ticketing offenders only goes so far. I too hate it when rules, regulations and technology force everyone into a certain way of doing things, but it is better than the alternative; which is some sets of bozos that don't do the right thing at the right time and someone gets killed.

Caymen, you say: "ABS brakes, airbags, stability control, etc., etc., etc., make people, as a whole, dumber. I am smart enough to..."; and I agree with that to a certain extent. But some minority of people will be bad, incompetent drivers regardless, and ABS, airbags, stability control, DRLs make them and the rest of us safer IN SPITE of these bad drivers. Yes, the undesired affect might be that other drivers are less incented to learn good driving skills, but they aren't the problem, typically, it's the really bad, unskilled and unwilling/able to learn drivers that we are trying to protect everyone from (and them from themselves).

Do you see my point? Do you think education alone will make those drivers better?

Gun Control = Holding the gun with both hands.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the reports on DRL's. The areas that have limited light save lives, ther areas that have more light don't reep any benefit.

Find an article about how many less GM cars are involved in accidents.

Gun Control=Hitting what you were aiming at.

Tom

Read the reports on DRL's. The areas that have limited light save lives, ther areas that have more light don't reep any benefit.

Find an article about how many less GM cars are involved in accidents.

Gun Control=Hitting what you were aiming at.

Tom

If the areas and driving scenarios (early dusk, late dawn) show that lives are saved then isn't that enough even if the other areas and scenarios show no benefit?

In other words, if something saves lives, and doesn't cost you anything more than an annoyance factor, why be opposed to it?

TJR

TJR, where do have an
'04 has them as an optional setting, but I wish Ford would hardwire them on all the time.

My 04 does not have DRLs. It does have auto lights that come on when it is already too dark though.

Caymen, I agree with you that some people are too stupid to have them. I have often wondered if people with the dim front lights and no back lights really knew what was going on.

However, I would at least like my side lights to be on all the time - DRLs don't have to be the headlights.

grump

Agh, you are right, GRUMP. I am confusing auto-lights with DRLs. I keep me auto-light setting all the time.

I had DRLs on my 96 Blazer...constantly having rednecks honk their horn and yell "Your lights are on" at me got a little annoying. :eek:

Again I stress, common sense should dictate when your lights should be on. Sometimes I turn my lights on, even when the autolights don't come on. Just because the sensor says it is bright enough, I turn them on anyway.

It is a choice, I, the owner of the vehicle, should make.

As I said before, safety devices make people dumber. Should we require some system that will apply the brakes if a light is yellow so we don't run the light in case it turns red? Should there be a sensor that disables your engine in an emergency vehicle approaches your vehicle so no cars are moving when the emergency vehicle needs to get by? How about a system to limit your speed? If you are driving on a residential street with a speed limit of 25 MPH, our vehicle will only operate at 25 MPH? How about a system that when an officer pulls you over, should handcuffs be placed by a safety system to prevent you from pulling a gun? (Not that I would ever think of pulling a gun on an officer) How about the officer being able to disable your engine while he is stoped you so you don't pull away unless he lets you?

Why should anyone be allowed to own a car with more then 100 HP? More power means you can drive faster. Why not limit the top speed of all cars to the maximum speed limit? That way you would only be able to drive 65 MPH in Ohio. That is the speed limit and we know speed kills.

We are taught that when you see flashing lights, pull to the side of the road to let the emergency vehicles pass. When it rains, we turn on our windshield wipers. We see a red light, we stop. Pretty simple.

Heck, when we had the blackout a few years ago, I almost got rear ended more then a few times because people do not know that at an intersection with traffic lights and they are not working, it becomes a 4 way stop.

The lack of proper drivers training causes many accidents because the average person doesn't really know how to drive. I am not saying I am the best driver in the world.

Compare me to Mario Andretti or Colin Mc Rae and I am a moron behind the wheel. :D

Tom

Caymen,

Then let's advocate MANDATED driving aptitude tests that are MORE rigorous and which require recerts every couple of years, and then I would agree with you.

Maybe a 4 hour long driving test, broken up into several parts, and for many various road and lighting conditions and driving situations.

Additionally, all those "good driving skills" must be mandated by law, and those that don't have them or don't display them should be ticketed. That means more police, giving tickets for improper use of headlight, and blinkers, etc. (ps. my wife's Mountaineer starts to chime if you leave the blinker on too long...I think EVERY person over 60 should have that in their car). And ticketing should go up for "no-fault" accidents, because utilimately if you are a good enough driver you should be able to avoid most accidents (there are thousands of accidents a day that aren't ticketed). For example, some one pulls out in front of you, you can't stop, you get a ticket as you were not paying attention and driving defensively.

If we did all this, then sure, we could relax some of the safety devices.

Would you approve of this?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
This may get lost in the chatter, but back to the original question:D

Jay, likely your module is burnt out, its not that uncommon, if you ever see someone coming down the road withthier DRL,s blinking its a sign the modules going south.

The module(on 01s maybe more) is located in behind the drivers side fog lamp up on the rad support, with about a 1 inch plug going into it.

If anyone wants to unhook thiers this module can be unplugged with no ill effects, mine has been unplugged for awhile due to the blinking problem, someday I,ll replace the module.

Todd

Latest posts