Cup holder Lining

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think this would qualify as a project but I figured I would share it with you.

I don't know if all ST are the same or if I am just missing something but it always bugged me that the front cupholder has no bottom liner like the one behind it or the storage tray. This is what I did. I happen to be in Dollar Tree and saw one of those non slip dash mats (yes, for a dollar <lol>) and I got an idea to make a lining for the cup holder. I used a 3" or .76mm hole saw I pressed it down the hole saw into the back of the mat and I cut it out using a new & sharp utility knife. Now my console is fully lined.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Clever! Looks OEM.

FYI, there's no padding in that particular "cupholder" because that is where the OEM ashtray would go (it's a small black cup with a lid). I don't use mine as an ashtray but it makes for a nice trash bin.

I was wondering why my ST has a cig lighter and no ashtray. Makes me no difference, I dont smoke anyhow. I use mine as an additional cup holder and that mat is a good idea, good job!!

So why did the ST see fit to come with only 3/4 cup holders (since technically one is for the ashtray) when it holds 5 people? The back holders don't really work unless someone is back there to prevent stuff from falling out, and they can't be deployed with someone in the middle seat :(

I remember the 03 had another jumbo sized cupholder coming out of hte passenger door pocket :( That would have been rather useful, if no one stepped on it.

I like my libation, and 2 holders really just doesn't cut it. My most severe complaint on the ST interior.

Lining the first holder is a clever idea though.

I have an ashtray in that space. I use it as a mini-trash bin. I dropped it once and cracked the hinge. Got a brand new OEM Sport Trac replacement on eBay for $5. Not one of those generic ones. A real ST ashtray. :D

FYI- If anyone has a project using large hole saws for instrument gauges or circular cutouts.

Learned this the hard way shattering "gel coated" dash panels of high end custom boats.

Don't know the similarity between "Gel Coat" and Automotive Paint when cutting holes. A sharp hole saw IS required.

Tape the surface to be cut (tightly) with good quality masking tape. Go in slow and proceed as you normally would. That's it. Pull the masking tape and you will have a surgically clean edge.

Hope this is not too "old school" for you guys. Damn, it's been 30 years since I worked at Eliminator Boats in Anaheim, CA. (1978)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts