"Crunching noise" Driver front tire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Leary

Reaction score
I have been hearing a crunching sound from my driver side front tire area. Only happened when making a right hand turn and weight is placed on that side of the vehicle. I got down there and took a look but couldn't see any visual problems. Any tips for diagnosing?

Just FYI- I have replaced the body mounts and upper/lower ball joints in the past year on both sides.

Thanks for any tips.

Sounds like your steering stops need to be greased. Check where the steering contacts the frame cross-member and you will see a worn spot on each side where there is a metal-to-metal contact when the steering is turn to the far right and far left. Just put a big glob of chassis grease on all these contact points and you will probably solve your problem.

When you turn your steering wheel all the way right or all the way left the steering stops limit the maximum turning angle...when you are at the maximum steering angle and you go over any irrigularity in the pavement the suspension will go up or down and that causes a scraping/groaning/creaking sound because of the dry metal-to-metal contact. This is normal, and no harm is done, just an annoying noise. Greasing the contact points eliminates the noise.

If you have a 4x4 you might have a bad CV joint....So if greasing the steering stops does not work, look for a cracked outer CV joint boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both. No 4x4 on my trac.

Especially thanks for the pic. I'm a visual person and that will help me know what Im looking at.

Eddie, any pics of the sway bar so I know what to look for?

Oops

Not the steering stops

sway bar looks okay

I found that the upper ball joint on the drivers side seems to have a tear or break. There is grease all over the control arm. I wired it down and regreased, but the grease is just coming out the backside of the boot... so Im assuming it must be damaged.

This is like 6 months old. I called advanced and they said if the boot is ripped or torn they will not replace it... hmph.

This is not 100% certainty.. but the likely cause of the crunching sound the the vehicle shift pressure to that side.

Latest posts