Cruise Control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art G

Reaction score
Good Friday to everyone, I hope your day is going great so far.

I have a question if anyone has a problem of their cruise control other than the Ford recall.

My 05 ST's cruise sometimes works and sometime doesn't, but most of the time it doesn't work. I turn the cruise ON and press the SET/ACCEL button and nothing happens except the cruise light on the dash flashes once and nothing happens. Other times nor problem. Any of this you experienced, and could this be the speed sensor :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2004 XLT Sports Trac and this problem just started with me about a month ago. It happens about half the time that I am driving but I dont drive enough where I need to use my cruise that must. This truck was given to me by my dad and I dont know if he was having this problem or not. I am worried about having an electrical fire. I am sure if I take the truck in to get it looked at, it will cost a forture with it being electrical. Hopefully someone has the answer

I would bleed the brake switch on the master cylinder.... I would also make sure that your foot is not hitting the brake pedal and check your brake fluid level...

I had the same problem on my 04 and there was just air in the brake switch..

Todd Z

I called my tech at Mike Shad Ford and he confirmed it's the Speed Control Switch on top of the brake master cylinder. Picked one up at Ford, cost $25.50, replaced the old one and cruise works. Here's the picture. Hope you can read the part number. [Broken External Image]:

Man, I wish those cheeseheads at Ford would have replaced mine instead of making me go 11 months without cruise control waiting for the terd bandaid recall harness.

Fred, don't get us Ford parts and service guys started on THAT fiasco! I still say Ford should have just replaced the switches on all of them and been done with it! :angry: When that jumper harness fuse blows, you have to throw the jumper away and buy the switch anyways!

Just see the projects section, Spend the $18 bucks and fix it right...... I know, I know Ford this, Ford that.....

I fixed mine, and so did others with now issues with the st...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd Z. I printed out the project so I can get it fixed. My dad said he met you before in Louisville. (Martin L.)

He is the one who gave me his Sports Trac.

Every time I see a post on the infamous switch and re-call, I just have to shake my head.

People have had garage fires that have taken out the entire house.

Your a lunitic not to change the darn thing out.

Is CHEAP, takes 5 minutes to do.

If you have the red switch, disco it, just pull the harness, suffer without CC until you can get your lazy butt down to the dealer, pop about 20 bux, and swap it out, simple.JUST DO IT.

My ST isn't on the recall list. But it's sounds like I have a bad switch. Cruise control light just blinks on and off when I try to turn it on. Hopefully changing out the switch will help.

I remember seeing the project some time ago but it said something to the effect that if you have a black switch then skip a step or something.

Anyhow, I can't find it now.

Ok, I guess this is the project.

"FIRST:

Locate the red switch on your master cylinder: IF it is BLACK you DO NOT NEED

THIS !!!!!!"

Ok, well mine is black so what is it that I don't need? This project?

Good to go where? The only thing that is going is the cruise, on and off real fast when I try to engage it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well gee Bill, thanks for the help! You know, I kind of figured someone that could help would have chimed in. But I guess every one is way to busy playing guessing games and arguing about unemployment compensation. :angry:

I'll just take the sh*tbox to the dealership!

Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts