cruise control cable/throttle body

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
OK, i hate to admit it, but when switching out the pcv elbow I snapped the plastic piece that holds the cruise control cable on the throttle body. it looks like my only solution is to replace the throttle body. Any ideas?

Thanks

Greg

If the peice is on the throttle body. But the plastic end broke off the cable. The cable can be replaced, DIY.

Greg,

I went and looked at mine. I come up with a mod that will work. You will need a 10-32 screw x 1 1/4" long. Pic below of the type head. So that the cable will snap on the screw. saw the surface smooth that broke off. Drill and tap thru both sides. you might want to use lok-tite on the threads.

I tried this screw on my cable. It snaps on. See pic below.If you cant find one. I will mail you this one. I might have an old tap to throw in.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
So Eddie, you are suggesting I drill through both sides of the throttle cable? And btw I did not realize it (never paid attention I guess) but that whole are where both cables "mount" is actually plastic (hence the reason the mount for the cruise cable breaking). I actually had a similar thought to what you are suggesting. My only conern is the potential to interfere with the opearation of the throttle cable. Thanks for the idea!!

My only conern is the potential to interfere with the opearation of the throttle cable

When I manualy rolled the throtle WOT. The main cable stayed down in the groove, it rides in. The only thing I can see is to disconect the main cable. The screw will have to be removed first.

I may have to repair mine someday. I noticed a crack in the edge. Of the knob that broke on yours.

When I tried the screw. It was the perfect size to snap into the cruise cable connector. The tappered head and 10-32 threads are perfect. I have several screws. Just need to be shortened. I can send you one.

One sujestion is when drilling and taping the threads. I would remove the TB. And go very slow and gentle. The type of material chips easy. Keep the drill and tap lubed well.

A used stock TB can be found for 15-30 bucks......

Just replace the thing and dont mess with something you may not be comfortable with..

Todd Z

I am leaning toward just replacing the TB. I am mostly mad at myself for not disconnecting the cable when I replaced the pcv elbow.

If it happens to me. I will do the mod. Im competent enough it will work, for cruise control.. Plus Im competent with my skills.

I probably wouldnt do this with the master throttle cable.

Eddie, again, thanks for your suggestion and for your efforts to find a "cheap" fix lol!!. In the end I did go ahead and purchase another throttle body. I know how to take the old one off and replace it. :) I picked one up off of Ebay for $40 including free shipping and a 6 month warranty from the seller. The seller has over 9000 feedback and his rating is 99.7% positive.

Greg,

Thats' cool.:supercool: I admit that, we have to be comfortable. With how we do certain repairs.

When Im not I worry too much...LOL

Good thing it wasnt a zabtek modded TB, as mine is. Probably why I would attempt repair. I hope mine doesnt break. I did notice my connection pin is cracked at the base.

about 1/3 thru. Thinking about repairing before it breaks, while on a road trip.

Please dont think I was being forceful about repair vs replace.

Eddie, no worries. :) Your advice is extremelly valuable!! When I found this one for $40 I decided it was not worth $40 dollars of effort to attempt a repair vs. just replacing. lol!!

Make sure you don't over tighten the TB. Why Ford uses self tapping screws

on ABS composite plastic, we'll never know. TPS is the same, with Loctite. :banghead: