Crown Vic?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Was just at Fordvehicles.com, building assorted imaginary cars, did not see the Crown Vic listed.

Did they quit making it, or maybe is it just a fleet vehicle for cops and taxi drivers now?

What will the old folks do who insist on a car with a real frame and full-sized spare tire?

Ford got their money out of the Panther platform, for sure, but isn't it ironic that the Crown Vic is on the way out just when RWD sedans are falling back into favor with American auto makers.

Yup, Grand Marque. My folks drive an '01. At age 80 and 76, I have been trying to get them into one size smaller car. Niether one can see as well nowdays. I just feel that sometimes the larger the car with an older person the worse they drive. Staying in their lane, turning, parking,etc.. But then I also worry about their survival in something too small..

Was reading JohnnyO's post and thinking, "Funny, I just saw a whole lot full of '08's yesterday..."

Last edited by a moderator:
JKH, I just noticed on your link that the police package only comes with the 250hp 4.6L. Odd..:blink:

There's only one thing worse than an 80-year-old man driving a Crown Vic. That's an 80-year-old man driving a Crown Vic while wearing a fedora.

bdf175ef763d062cd44ecb5261076fa3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have driven a variety of police vehicles over the past 10 years and so far nothing has seemed better than the good old crown vic excpet maybe the Caprice back when I first started. I have driven Impala's, Intrepids, an Explorer, F-150, and a Chevy truck and none compare to the Crown Vic overall. Unfortunately our latest addition has been an Impala and we are scheduled to get 3 more Impala's at the first of the year and probably continue on with Impala's for a while. Just like many government agencies you get stuff based on the lowest bid and the Impala's came in at atleast a couple thousand under the Crown Vic's bids. What we cant make the people who hold the purse strings realize is that it will most likely cost more in the long run. One of the local PD's did a cost analasis on the Crown Vics vs. Impala's and maintenance over the life of the car and factoring in resale the Impala's ultimately ended up costing them more.

Ok so I just bored you with all that when all I really wanted to say was the Crown Vic is the best police vehicle in my opinion but I am anxiously awaiting the next generation of cruiser.

(See Link)

One of the local PD's did a cost analasis on the Crown Vics vs. Impala's and maintenance over the life of the car and factoring in resale the Impala's ultimately ended up costing them more.

Have someone you know, place a letter to the editor in the local paper saying that the cost analasis said Ford is the cheapest overall and pose the question why is a certain local PD using the Chevrolet cars. That will get some attention.

I never thought a FWD unibody car would be worth a hoot as a Police car in the first place. FWD unibody cars are nice, but they just can not take the abuse that a RWD car with an actual frame can handle.

As for the Carbon Motors car, nothing screams speed trap aheads when you can ID this as a cop car 3 miles away by looks alone.

Tom

We haven't got a Charger yet and probably never will. There is only one agency anywhere near me that has one, it looks sweet but I haven't heard much about how they like it.

Tom our Sheriff and several others have told the coutny administrators about the cost analysis done by this particular town agency and their response was basically that it was only one town that did this analysis and the "research" was not that in depth, which may be true, but I really think that in the long run it will cost more, it just makes sense. There is a reason why the Crown Vic is the car of choice for a majority of police agencies. If one of our small towns thought to do a cost analysis I'm sure other larger departments have done so as well although I haven't been able to find that info. While placing a letter to the editor in a local paper is an interesting idea at this point it wont do any good as for now we got one Impala and have already entered an agreement to get 3 more. If their are a lot of problems then we will be able to show that and then maybe they will go back to the Crown Vics. Who knows maybe they will work out just fine and we are just reluctant for change and just used to the good ol' Crown Vics.

I never really thought about the looks of the Carbon car as far as "obvious cop car" goes but I dont really see that as a big problem, but I understand what you are saying for certain situations it might not be good. Any officer that needs to be under cover will still have a different vehicle, about 1 in 10 of our state interstate and turnpike patrol have undercover cars like unmarked impala's, mercury marquis or even buick centuries and pontiac G6's they use for some better interstate speed enforcement.

The best thing I see about the Carbon Motors concept is that it is being built specifically for police with a lot of input from police and they are taking their time in trying to get it right. Some of their ideas seem really great. Of course their write up is obviously geared to make you like it and doesn't discuss any of the potential problems with some of their ideas. One of the most interesting things to me is that they intend to make these as diesels. I haven't seen any discussion yet about any on the cons of some of their ideas but I can tell you they must be spending a lot of money of promoting this because I have seen ads for it in every single public safety magazine I have picked up over the past few months.

I support the diesel engine idea. Better gas mileage, higher reliability, and longer lasting.

From the looks of it, they will fly too. The only thing I have against it is that they are so out of place. They loook like nothing on the road. It is a good thing for people like me.

You know the best safe builder is a safe cracker. They think like a criminal.

Tom

Yup, Grand Marque. My folks drive an '01. At age 80 and 76, I have been trying to get them into one size smaller car. Niether one can see as well nowdays. I just feel that sometimes the larger the car with an older person the worse they drive. Staying in their lane, turning, parking,etc.. But then I also worry about their survival in something too small..

Check out this video and see if you still think it would be a bad idea for them to be driving a small car. Needless to say I was impressed.

European cars are cheaper :(

"English english" gives you cool rhymes like "boot chute" lol

I'd worry if it hit an Excursion, because as a real man once said, American Muscle wins every time. Bye bye volvo.

Latest posts