Crown Vic?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True Tom you are correct on that aspect. No I would not want to be in that particular small can if hit by an Excursion. All I was trying to say in my post was that a smaller car then a Crown Vic may not be a bad idea. You dont need to go that small to still be in a smaller car then a Crown Vic.

One of the reasons I posted here was I had the same problem with my Grandfather he had a 1984 Buick Park Avenue and that thing was a boat. I followed my gradfather home one evening and I could tell by the way he was driving that the car was just too big for him anymore that and the car was getting old and worn out. I convinced him to get a slightly smaller car and he finaly settled on a used Chevy Lumina. It was a better car for him as the visibility out of it was better and since it was a narrower car he could handle it much better. He had the Lumina for about four more years before he decided to stop driving all together as he realised his reaction times were slowing down to the point where it was not safe for him to drive any longer. He was 87 at the time. When he needed to go anywhere after that either my brother, father, or I would drive him.

I agree. Nobody really needs a giant land lacht to get around in, especially when you are 70+ years old.

I just laugh when people defend the safety of a small car when they compare a new Fiat to an old Volvo and think, that Fiat is safe, but the Volvo isn't.

Lets look at real life worst case scenerios. Lets put that Fiat in the front of a mega SUV like a Hummer, Excursion, Suburban, F-350, Silerado C3500, Dodge Mega Ram, or even an 18 wheeler. Now tell me how safe that Fiat is.

Crumple zones are great. Excess metal around you is a plus too.

Tom

Old folks like big rear-drive cars with a full frame. Period. This is very very important, as is a full-size spare tire. Some things just are what they are.

I was selling Oldmobiles and Cadillacs in the mid-80's when GM went to front-wheel drive and unibody on most of them, without a lot of fanfare really, and old folks would come in the dealer and go ballistic when they saw the new models. That was at the same time that Lincoln got rid of vinyl roofs and opera lamps so the old folks were really bent out of shape with no where to turn.

My Caddy dealer was old-school thank God and refused to add abominations like gold trim and Vogue Tyres, which a lot of oldsters just thought was the shiznit.

My folks are only now turning 70 but live by the creedo "Must...have...4 door...luxury car." My dad has a Cadillac but he's big guy (not fat, just big) and so shot full of arthritis that it's hard for him to bend down to get in and out. I try to tell him to get a crossover or SUV with a taller roof and doors but he won't hear of it.