Creaking noise from steering column

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Burtt

Reaction score
Hello,

I just found this great website fortunately for me!! I have a 2001 Sport Trac with about 50,000 miles on it. A year ago (while still under warranty) I heard a low-pitched creaking noise when I turned the wheel on my car (usually at lower speeds). I took the car to the dealer and he "fixed" the noise. Well, it's doing it again and now my car is out of warranty. I called the service dept. at my dealer and he said that last time they put some grease on a bushing in my steering column. He said to come back and they'll grease it again (this time for a fee). I asked him if this was a problem that was going to recur every year and he said it could on certain models of cars. My husband thinks that's a crock and that noises like that should never come from your steering column. We don't have a parts list for my car, so we don't even what is actually going on in there or where it's coming from.

Has anybody experienced anything like this on the ST?? Thanks so much in advance.

cburtt

This is actually called a "pop" in the colum. There is a TSB on this and the dealer gets a bearing kit and replaces the bearings in the colum....

Don't know cost, but was a common problem on earlier St's.

Todd Z

The nosie can be many diffrent things. It ca be ut ball joint thou..does it make noise when your are turning the wheel at a still position? If so its your ball joints most likly..If you here the noise over bumps were the trac might rock side to side, then it can me ur sawybar bushings, whish grease might cure.

Thanks for the replies. The noise occurs when I am moving (mostly going slow) but it creaks and is really annoying. What really makes me mad is I took the car in when it was under the warranty and they didn't fix it properly, so now I'll have to bring it back and have them redo the repair at MY expense. Grrrr.

I appreciate your help!

Find the TBS and print it out..take it with. They will have your visit from the last time on record. Might be able to have it covered that way. Providing your trac is same years listed on the TBS. :unsure: Good luck!