Crankshaft Seal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
Well, my crankshaft seal is starting to go...and the harmonic balancer rubber looks dry-rotted...:cry:

Since I have to remove it to replace the seal, I'm going to go ahead and replace it. The question is, should I consider the performance under-drive pulley or go with OEM? worth the extra $$$$? Hmmm :eek:nline:

BTW anyone knows the size of the pulley bolt?

Yes thank you :haveabeer:, I saw that but it doesn't list the socket size...unless I missed it. Never mind I did miss them 19MM Duh!

Last edited by a moderator:
ED, I have searched all my manuals'..Socket size dont know. What I did find, is. It is a torque to yield bolt. Recomended using a new one. Thighten 37 ft/lbs. then 90degrees' more.

Ed,

I have reused every pulley bolt, Torqued to 95 and walked away.......

The thing I recommend being careful of is the oil seal dust clip.... That sucker can and has cracked. Heck some are cracked when you take the pulley off..... I have been lucky with 2 part epoxy after re installing it, to fill the crack..

Todd Z

Todd,

Thanks for the info. I have reused the crank bolts on past motors. I will use some medium set lok-tite. If the dust seal is cracked I will mix up some JB weld.:supercool:

I have used ASP under-drives in the past. The manufactor started here in Houston (Stafford). I used to buy them straight from him. He installed them for me on my 5.0L T-bird and gave me a free belt. This is my first experiance with a one piece unit.

One question I have. Since Im changing a 4 piece set. Will the stock or .5" shorter belt work. My '94 stang used the stock belt with the 4 peice set.

Thanks for the info...I was asking about the socket size because, it never fails, the tool that I need is always the one that I'm missing...:banghead:

I'm 80% decided I will go with the ASP pulley to replace the dry-rotted OEM POS...Just can't seem to pull the trigger. Yes , I'm a cheap bastid...

Ed,

yes you use the stock or .5 shorter belt with the complete set..... you also can if you use the alternator pulley or not too.......

SFC,

I hate to help you decide, But i think ASP is back ordered on them,,, They were in December the last time I checked.... I can re check if you like..

I also have 3 stock crank pulleys here your welcome to 1 if you really wanna cheep out !! :bwahaha:

Todd Z

Todd,

If you feel like checking....I would appreciate it. If they are not available right now, I could wait. I don't need it right this second.

Ed, Welcome !!

SFC,

Will do !!

Todd Z

Latest posts