Crank Pulley- UPDATE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
Ok, I got the center bolt out. Used the breaker bar jammed with wood while cranking the engine method. Don't know how I'm going to get it back in....anyways...

I figured out the deal with the puller bolts, I'll explain later when I can take pictures.

Now to the problem... As I turn the puller bolt, the pulley wants to turn on me. I was using a filter holder until it got too hard, then started using a screw driver jammed in the pulley. It was working right up until the puller busted right in half. the pulley is about a 1/3 out right now.

I'm going to rent another puller in the morning but do you have any ideas on holding the pulley while turning the puller bolt?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the old pulley. A pipe wrench set to the inside and out, turned side ways.

I purchased this in anticipation of this problem. You will have to open the slot more, though.

I bet you BOTTOMED out the bolt or the pulley..... I used the center bolt and did it in like 3 steps... some people use a socket......

I wrapped an old Serp belt around the Pulley clamped it tight with vice grips and wrapped it around the frame or on 1 George used his foot to hold the pulley from turning..

Todd Z

Eddie, Todd, Thanks for the replies!!!

Todd, I forgot about that. I have the ASP bolt in there to push against but I did not check to see if it was maxed out. :rofl: I bet that's the problem, DUH! I feel like an idiot once again...Thanks Todd, I will let you know the outcome tomorrow.

No problem..... My phone number to the office is on my sponsor page on here if you need to call feel free tomorrow.... i will be here doing brakes and minor stuff on a trac...

Todd Z

yea, i pretty much did what todd and george did, my buddy held on while i cranked i kept yelling at him and told him to open up a can of man and to stop letting the pulley turn

it was good times

Thanks to Todd's reminder:
I bet you BOTTOMED out the bolt or the pulley

I finished a couple of hours ago. Once I corrected my mistake, the pulley came out no problem. I had a problem with the aftermarket crankshaft seal (the whole reason I did this) from autozone. It was too small, so I went to Ford and got the $46 piece of rubber. Once I came back, the rest of the install went well. I used a strap wrench to hold the pulley while torquing and it went in like butter.

Went on a test drive, no issues. I'm very pleased with the result.

Thanks a million to all 3 of you!!!

Welcome,,I didnt get to mine this weekend. My brother had to work. He was going to be my standby ride.

Plus now I think I will wait till I get the mesh delivered. Sinnce I will have the box off the bottom of the radiator. All I will need is to pull the lower bumper bolts. Then slide it in the backside. I will have it cut and ready. Shouldnt add too much extra time.

SFCEd,

Glad to hear and Help....

Glad your happy

Todd Z

Latest posts