Crank, occasional start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad AlbertoJr

Reaction score
I've been reading the posts and I think I have a fuel pump issue, but I wanted to run it by the experts here :)

Recently I have been having a problem starting the car. It will crank but not start. I wait a few seconds and it starts right up. Sometimes it takes a little longer than other times, bit it will eventually start. Tonight, I tried starting her up and my battery died. Jumped it, it cranked bit did not start, killed battery again. Waited, tried again, started. I live in the city, so hearing the fuel pump is almost impossible anyway.

Some other odd coincidences: I had my spark plugs and fuel filter changed about two weeks prior. This week my aftermarket stereo system just died once. It would cut out, come back, then it finally gave out completely. It may not be related, just strange.

Opinions? 2002, manual tranny

Try this,

Turn key to run position wait 5 seconds.

Turn off key

Turn on key to run position wait 5 seconds.

Do this 3 or 4 times, THEN crank the engine....

IF it starts right up its a fuel pressure issue, and if the filter is good ( you said you replaced) i would bet its the pump.

Todd Z

conrad,

Yes, Todd Z is correct.

Most of the early Sport Trac's had a common problem with the fuel pump leaking pressure when sitting overnight or for more than a few hours. Turning on the key turns on the fuel pump and helps build up fuel pressure before you attempt to start the engine.

If you let it go, it will gradually get worse and then the engine will not start at all.

...Rich

Advice on fuel pump operation is useful, but I recommend you have your battery tested. Also check that the battery cables are secure and free of corrosion. I have little experience with aftermarket stereos, but have read stories of faulty installations causing electrical problems.

Thank you for the advice gentlemen.

This morning I tried turning the key and couldnt hear the pump. No sound after 2 more key turns. Tried cranking on the 4th time and the battery was dead. Hooked jumper cables up with the wife's car. After a few minutes, I turned the key and heard the pump, but the battery was too weak to crank. It took like 20 minutes of charging before she finally turned on.

The battery is old enough that it needs to be replaced, so that's step one. Ill keep listening for the pump after the new battery is in. She has 161,000 miles on her, so the fuel pump going dead wouldnt surprise me. Funny thing is my dad's 02 Explorer had a fuel pump go bad this summer. He only has 75,000 on his.

The stereo may have just been a coincidence, its been in the truck for 10 years, but I'll make that a project this weekend.

My wife and I had our first child this year, so regrettably I have been neglecting my other baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
on my 2002, i had an issue with the fuel pump relay socket melting and not making contact with the relay tangs. I got a different relay, and bent the tang a little so it would make contact better. seemed to fix the issue. (knock on wood)

Amazing the gremlins a weak or faulty battery can cause on these trucks. (Flashing lights, intermittent starts, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto,

I believe you have bad battery and also a fuel pump issue.

Also a good Idea to check the relay contacts, as STanner did.

Many mechanics disconnect the battery for servicing. Is it possible that it did not get reconnected properly? Seems like there are a couple problems that may be electrical related.

Agree on the fuel pump pressure (had a F-150 with that problem). It was a faulty check valve that is supposed to keep the fuel pressure when the engine is not running. Of course, you can't get only the check valve.

IMO, I think the ethenol is causing short life of our fuel systems. Including the flex fuel systems.

Agree Eddie. No benefits using it, and E10 is mandated here.

The only place we can get non-ethanol gas around here is at a few marinas.

Old, weak batteries on our STs can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins to appear. I would start with that first and go from there...

So I changed my battery. As a side note, it was a Costco battery. I took the core back to Costco to get the deposit back and they informed me I still had warranty credit and proceeded to refund me 75 dollars!

After I installed it I couldn't hear the pump turn on. Cranked it once and when I left go I could hear the pump. Every start since then has been successful. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the problem persists.

A weak battery, definitly causes electrical gremlins in our gen 1 tracs. I think many on this board have had, various gremlins. I think yours is the first for the fuel pump.

One other thing to consider, if it starts acting up, is. Some of the first '01 to '03, gen 1 tracs. Have had bad emergency fuel shut off switches. One member changed his pump then found out the switch was going bad. Some had to repair the wiring jack, to the switch. Heat damaged the contacts.

GL.....

Sounds like you only needed a battery all the time..

Todd Z

Latest posts