Craftsman socket set

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Morrow

Reaction score
I have a 100+ piece craftsman set and every time I pick up the stupid black box all of my sockets fall out of the places. I'll spend 10 minutes and put them all back exactly where they belong and as soon as i pick it up they fall out again. I'm sure im not the only person who has this problem. Has anyone figured out how to keep the sockets in place?

I have a Stanley set that does the same thing to a much lesser degree, torques me off everytime. Like you I keep doing it over & over again tho.

Mine is a 150 pc set and the box opens like a suitcase, one side for the wrenches is kept in with a plastic piece and I keep a newspaper over the socket side to keep everything in place, try a NY Times, it's about all it's good for.;)

I have found the use of a 3/8" ratchet with SIX POINT 3/8" to 13/16" sockets (or Metric), in long and short lengths with extensions and a universal, are more than adequate for general auto work. I assume the 150 piece "set" included screwdrivers, allen wrenches, plyers, etc.

"Snap-On" makes some cool socket holders that come with their "gold filled", chrome plated price tag. ;)

Cut a piece of foam rubber (whatever thickness you feel is needed) to fit and lay that between the lid and the tray. I had the same issue and that seemed to work pretty well.

Markr

Yup !!!

Box it up and mail it to me !!!!

Problem solved..

Todd Z

GOD thats happened to me so many times I can't even tell you!

I just put a long strip of masking tape over each row of sockets. When I need a socket that is in the middle of the row I peel up one side of the tape and all of the sockets are raised with the tape (still attached to the tape - looks like a round of machine gun ammo). I just pluck off the socket I need and then re adhere the tape. All the sockets go back in their original location. I will have to replace the tape eventually but its holding alright for now.

Its a cheap fix, but an effective one.

I have a 100+ set that I got 20 years ago while in college...still have every piece in it's place...I'm kind of particular about that! Anyway, I cut a piece of card board to size and that has worked for me.

Though, I do need to see if Craftsman will sell me a new case, my hinges are cracking after 20 years!

The foam rubber sounds like a good solution, however I am leaning towards Mike's newspaper idea. It's cheap, easily replaced, will absorbe some moisture and help prevent/reduce rusting, and to use to lay on, or to place parts on to keep them away from dirt, etc.

...Rich

I use a Snap-On magnetic Socket holder.

They make them in deep socket, shallow socket and mid-socket depths.

Here is an eBay auction of one so you can see what they look like.

They work fantastic.

3351e0f996279b306d14a2c514135e0e.jpg

I cut the plastic suitcase if half at the hinge and put each half in it's own drawer of a Craftsman Roll away tool box - the kind that is waist high with a wooden or metal top.

I use my old tool box with old tools for taking on the road.

Latest posts