Cracks in Tire Tread

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len Zinger

Reaction score
I have an 03 ST with the original Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires. Vehicle has 66,000 kms on it and tires have about 7/32 of tread remaining. Planning on a couple of road trips this year, and the cracks between the tread on the tires are bothering me. No sidewall cracks. Anyone know if this is a safety issue? I'm tempted to replace the tires for peace of mind.

Depending on how many/deep these cracks are....For your Peace of Mind....I'd go ahead and get a new set before you make those road trips.

At least then, you can enjoy your trips and not have to worry about your tires.

I can't believe you kept them on this long. Mine were shot at 30k. I would replace them. You will be shocked at the better driving with new tires.

You know, from the very first day I began reading this site, the Wrangler RT/S's were always stated to be crap. Had me worried for awhile and almost to the point of buying new tires even though mine had <10K on them. When my ST hit ~12K, the cupping became apparent and had me looking for new tires again.

At this point, I rotated the fronts to the rear and installed Rancho RSX shocks all the way around. With additional rotations ~ every 4K, I have not experienced the cupping issue again. At ~20K and with proper inflation, I really don't see a problem with them. They actually look close to new with not much tread wear noticeable. Look like they're going to be good for at least another 30-40K miles.

Yeah, I could probably find a quieter or softer tire but afterall, the ST is a truck with a truck ride. I just can't justify the cost for replacements.

As far as the tread cracking, I haven't experienced it but I'm inclined to agree with Scott. If it worries you, and you are planning on a long distance drive, then go ahead and change them out and be done with your worry.

Depends on the depth of the cracks. If you have deep cracks at the edge tread, you could have problems with extended highway temps and throwing the tread. Look at the last 4 numbers on the the DOT number. That will be the weak and the year of production. At 5 yrs and stress cracks I wont use them on the highway. Look for stress cracks at the rim edge also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the INSIDE sidewalls. My outside sidewalls were fine, I had cracks on the inside that I could put my fingers in. Get rid of those tires, they are junk.

Yeah, I could probably find a quieter or softer tire but afterall, the ST is a truck with a truck ride. I just can't justify the cost for replacements.

When you do finally get new tires, you will kick yourself for not getting new tires sooner.

Seriously, I know how you feel. It is hard to justify new tires when the ones that are on it look great. once you get new ones, you wish you did yourself a faovr and gotten new ones. They are worth the investment.

Tom

New tires - it's not worth the risk and IS worth the peace of mind. Like everyone has said - the difference in the ride will make you smile! :D:D

Ford isn't their name...it's an acronym for the company's attitude:

FORD = "Figures Owner Replaces Deficiencies"

- Deficient shocks...let the owner replace them.

- Deficient tires...let the owner replace them.

...the list goes on...

It's so nice to buy a $30K+ truck and then spend another $1k or more to make it safe and drive-able.

TJR