Cracked Headers?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sullivan VanWay

Reaction score
I have heard a lot about headers cracking all the time and I was wondering, If you get ceramic coated headers are they still going to crack or does it completely eliminate the problem. Thanks

If you buy a qaulity name brand. You dont have the cracking problems of old days. Make sure and not skimp on gasket qaulity. Go with stainless with ceramic coat. Also stay away from headers that only have a flange on each tube. Get a header with a full flange that all the tubes are on. They line up better and dont spring out of shape, if you have to remove and replace.

JBA is good but expensive. The tubes are 14gauge. Most others are 16gauge.

JBA actually doesn't use a 100% stainless steel for that reason..... Regular steal will not crack from the heat...

Honestly DON'T waste your money on headers...... The time and effort for 0, OHH did I say ZERO gain is not worth it...

Todd Z

Long tube headers on the 4.6L work the best. Problem with the Trac they wont fit the chassis or the single exhaust system. Not shure anyone makes a header for 4.6 Trac. If they do, alot of the gain would get choked in the single 2 into 1 converter and single cat-back.

As far as I know, JBA is still the only company that makes headers for the Sport Trac. Agree with Todd, also it's not that the headers are bad just that the stock manifolds are pretty good, so you get little if any gain with headers.

alot of the gain would get choked in the single 2 into 1 converter

The 2nd Generation 07/08/ and probably the 09 ST/STA have 2-seperate cats ,one on each side after the manifolds. the exhaust I.D. is 2-7/8 after the cats that channels into one 2-1/2 I.D. exhaust pipe all the way to the back. I would consider changing the cats to better flowing ones but these cats are huge and have secondary 02 sensors right on the cats...

Latest posts