cracked cv boot

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave feola

Reaction score
hey folks, i noticed this mrning that my drivers side inner cv boot has split,throwing grease al over the place, I intend to get it fixed, but is it safe to drive the truck until a week or so ?, and how much approx to replace boot ?

Most of the repair boots stink, you can get a new boot and install it, but that requires removing the whole axle any way.

Once the boot is broken, dirt and stuff gets in there quick..

IT will be cheaper in the long run to replace the whole axle..

And you can drive it for the 2 weeks with no problems..

I would also look into what may have caused it to rip, unless it was just age..

Todd Z

thanks todd, well i have about 61,000 miles on st, so I'm guessing age , do you know how much to replace ? and would this be covered under the esp warranty I have ?

No idea on cost for the ft axle, never looked into it...

esp.... It should be, but the axle may be, but not the boot....

Best bet would be to call them and ask..

I know my ESP came with a list of covered and non covered items..

Todd Z

At Napa they are $89.00 for new half axles/CV joints. $69.00 for remanufactured units, and you will have to return your old unit for a core. It is very easy to replace them it will take you about an hour for each side.

Here is a very good how-to to replace them. Note yours will not be quite this easy because this guy has a 4" lift kit installed which makes the job even easier. If your ST is stock you will have to unbolt your lower control arm, to remove and install the new half axle.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts