Covering the face of the tailgate during Travel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

Reaction score
Will be moving some items and traveling a couple of hundred miles with the tailgate down. Don't want to dent or scratch the paint. Any ideas how to easily cover the face of the tailgate, or what has anyone tried.

Thanks

Nothing should kick up on it....I have traveled long haul with mine down without an issue... IF your that concerned tape a towel or something soft around it....

DON'T use a tarp or paper...

Todd Z

LOL (I'm laughing with you, not at you).. Saran wrap is just going to make a plastic covered ding.. Not going to protect anything.

Like Todd said.. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I ride with mine down all the time and have never had an issue. The trajectory of the tires doesn't seem to be the tailgate, it would be the wheel wells.

Make sure the tailgate is clean and dry, buy a roll or two (depending on what size you get) of blue painters tape with low adhesive, you can either use plasticand just tape around the outer edges of the tailgate or tape most of it up. I would suggest to whole thing. when you get there just simply peel the tape off and no scratches, dents, bugs, road salt/ debris to screw up your ride. We do this on long raod trips with our show vehicles, just make sure you get the LOW adhesive tape so the glue doesn't stay on. We do it all the time and saves thousands in repainting.

:banana::banana::driving::haveabeer::supercool:

I asked this same question a couple of years ago since I hauled a washer and dryer 500 miles. Someone suggested then that I used the packaging wrap that you can buy at places like Uhaul. I wrapped my tailgate up pretty good with this stuff. It is not going to protect from anything big, but at the time my ST was only a year old and I didn't want any little scratches of any kind. I thought it worked out well.

I've carried my ATV in the bed for several hundred miles - and once I've reached my location, a few miles on very rocky, rough dirt roads.

Never had a problem - ever.

You should be fine.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts