Couple of suspension questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek F

Reaction score
Ok, probably dumb questions but wanted to verify:

Soon I will be installing new wheels & tires, 22x9.5. My ST is about needing an alignment anyway. I had planned on doing it soon. I haven’t decided if I am going to lower the truck or not just yet. It will be easier to decide once I see the new rims/tires on the truck. Once I make that decision, I know that if I lower it I will need the camber adjusters and an alignment. However if I do not lower it, I will still need the alignment. Would I then want to align it with the new rims/tires? Or have it done with the stock rims/tires and just swap out the wheels when I am ready?? My guess is that I would want to wait till after the new wheels are installed for the alignment? I am really not too sure how this works to be totally honest. I am just a bit leery of doing it with the new wheels on for fear of price gouging me for it. I have talked to a couple of sport truck guys here locally that mentioned this practice on oversize wheels/tires in my area.

My second question is, are there other alternatives to the camber adjusters sold by EE? I have contacted them regarding the price of the adjusters being sold separately from the lowering kit they sell and have not gotten a response. I thought I read on a search once of a ford factory set of adjusters but I can’t find that post now. I was hoping for other sources/part numbers/pricing of the same hardware I could use. If I lower it, I will be using the universal 3” block kit from my local auto zone. It is considerably cheaper to go this route then the EE lowering kit, that is of course if there are other sources for the camber adjusters and the price associated to them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I personally Would have the camber kit installed ANY way, and have it aligned with the new rims, UNLESS they are soo wide that the truck cant be aligned properly..

A place called pro suspension sells them. $39.99 bucks a set..

Here is a link

http://www.prosuspension.com/product_info.php?cPath=1091_1096&products_id=279&osCsid=03ab2bc2a898d4ff76f735097d8fa10b

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Todd, exactly what I was hoping for! That’s also what I am wondering though, is if the 9.5” wide wheels with 305 width tires will be too wide to properly adjust. I’m hoping some of the guys here running 22’s will chime in with their experiences as well!

One question though regarding those camber adjusters you linked me too. What is the difference between the ones you showed and the ones I found linked below? The ones below look more like the adjusters from EE with their lowering kit..

My link is a replacement bolt and washer, and allows an adjustment of

Part #87500 adjusts camber & caster ±2.0º

Your link is just the washer, less work to install BUT the adjustment is less

Part #87310 adjusts camber & caster ±1.75º

Todd Z

I dont see why the wheels would be too wide. Even at that off set, the track width is still narrower then a lot of stock cars, like Corvettes and such.

Any shop that charges you more to do an alignment because of big wheels isn't worth your business. Go to a shop with a good reputation that will treat you right.

Get the truck aligned with the new wheels/tires, they will change how the truck sits, which is kinda the whole point of an alignment.

I see what you mean now on the adjustability, I did not catch that earlier. Another dumb question would these adjusters be something I could install myself and then just pay for a normal alignment with the new wheels & tires on, and the alignment shop would use the new adjusters to correct with? Meaning any special tools or anything required to install them? Or is this something that the alignment shop would have to install at the time of their service?

And would any major damage be done enroute by driving the truck from my garage to the alignment shop if installing them myself was possible?