Cost of front AND rear diff service?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becker69 CO

Reaction score
I did some searching and found some nice advice for having the rear diff serviced (ie someone, I believe it was Johnny O?) said to have it done at a quickie mart for like 39.95 which rocks! I'll have to get the Motorcraft L/S additive at Ford -on the off chance it still engages- and make sure they throw it in (and I'll research exactly what Royal Purple fluid to have them throw in too since it is probably worth it :)....

But I also wondered if anyone knew of a chain service store I could get the front and rear done at the same time? (I know some smart person will say Ford is a chain place so please spare me that!). I haven't had my diffs serviced and I know they need it before I the wheelin' season. Any help is appreciated. I was just hoping to forego an ~ $200 dealership like charge! Thanks!

Do it yourself. Seriously. If you want to sae cash, do it yourself.

If you have a rear LSD, you are going to pay more than $39.95. The 75W140 fluid is synthetic and expensive. It is not a hard job to do.

Tom

I agree, EVEN if you simply suck out the old fluid and replace it, rather then taking the rear cover off... The front you can not take off....

The synthetic fluid here is about $10.00 a qt.... you need 2 qts for the front and 3 qts for the rear...

The front is 85w 90 synthetic and the rear if LSD if 75W140 synthetic...

DON'T forget about the transfer case too !!!

Todd Z

Douglas,

I bought the $8.00 fluid sucker tool at Autozone and now do it myself.

But last year, before I left for Moab I had the Valvoline instant oil change do my front, rear, and t-case for me as well. I had them do it because I picked up my truck from the dealer a day later than planned and wanted to get on the road to MOAB!!!

Chad

The Valvoline Quicky-Lube would do them for $39.95 each, this included Valvoline synthetic axle lube. L/S additive was about $12 or so extra.

I bought a suction gun for other stuff, the tubing was too big to get all the way into the pumpkin so I tried adapting smaller tubing into a short piece of bigger tubing attached to the gun and sealed it with silicone but it still wouldn't pull enough suction.

The rear you can do yourself, the front I don't see any other way to drain it (other than taking the pumpkin out). Almost no room between the diff cover and crossmember to get the cover off around the ring gear or even reach the bolts on the top half.

Johnny,

thats a good price beceause I know VIOC here is 59.99 for a synthetic gear box change...

Todd Z

Thanks for the inputs... I'm not too averse to doing the rear myself; it's really a question of time and hastle. So yes, I suppose for my convenience I am definately going to have to pay some $. My perspective; if I'll have the front done by someone I may as well have them do the rear at the same time.

I had the t-case serviced 10k ago by Ford (and should have done the diffs @ the same time but didn't want to pay the $200 they wanted here for both). I'll call around to get some ideas. I have a neighbor with a ford service shop across town so maybe I'll see what kind of deal he can get me.

Latest posts