Correct Transmission Filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Micklon

Reaction score
I have a 2003 4x4 XLT and it is time for a transmission filter change.

At Pep Boys I got a Purolator Filter P1281 5R55S

[Broken External Image]:

However I noticed in the project section that the one used looks much different.

[Broken External Image]:

Question is did I get the correct one?

I double checked the Purolator website and it shows the one I got was correct but its shape is much differenent from the one used in the project.

The Gen1 trannny is a 5R55E, NOT a 5R55S. Use the Motorcraft FT-134 number to cross reference. (Purolator site only shows the "S" replacement)

Last edited by a moderator:
ALSO the 4x4 and 2x4 are different filters and make sure you get the gaskets (orings) with it..

Todd Z

The gen 1 filter is the one in the projects. The 4x2 and 4x4, 5r55e trans filters are the same except the 4x4 has the extended snorkel. Pep-boys sold you the wrong one.

I recently found this out. I thought I picked up a 4x4 pan. Looking to hold more fluid in my 4x2. Turned out to be the pan for the 4r44e. So I used my dremel and cut the snorkel off. Then it was exactly the same as the one I removed. Didnt have a ride and had to put my oem 4x2 pan back on.

Latest posts