Coolant leak????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Thompson

Reaction score
Looking for some help from the masses.

Today I noticed a small amout of coolant in the snow-(I live in northern Ohio). The problem is it is located very near the area by the outside frame rail under the front passenger seat. Also due to the snow I have not yet gotten under the truck to see the source. Possible due to heater core leak?? Anyone had something like this?

The weather here has put about 18-20" of snow on the ground and I am a firefighter and usually have to drive thru this so the possiblilty of an ice chunck or something of that sort hitting the bottom of the truck is not unreasonable.

The overflow tank is about normal and as yet I do not have any problems with heat or cooling but having the truck idle for about and hour or two while I fight a fire could pose a problem.

Anyone with helpful advice would be appreciated. Is there anything in this area that has engine coolant in it. I would have thought not but the coolant is definately there and definately leaking, about 5-10 ounces. and this has just started.

No heater core...unless the floor is wet. the heater core is in the dash. Could be a hose. Can you smell anything sweet while the engine is running?

Tom

No nothing.

The amount is very small only noticed on the new white snow. about a gulp of water from a glass. but the location is what is weird. under the front passanger seat area??? there should not be anything in this area with coolant. the heater core and hoses are all under the hood and this is behind that. I thought that the rear seat heater may have a seperate core for it, maybe?? but the under console area looks like it is just an air plenum to take the air from the front and blow it in the back.

very weird!!

Tomorrow I will be getting the truck into the bay at the fire house and hopefully I can see something there.

If the heater box is sealed good, it could be the core. The place you said it is driping from sounds like the AC drip tubing on the fire wall. I think the evaporator and heater core is in the same box...

Could be the overflow bottle is too full, OR the line that runs into the bottle is cracked or loose..

DID you top it off, or any one spill it there?

Todd Z

happened to me too last year or so, just like todd says, check the thin hose running from the cap to the bottom of the resevior bottle. mine was loose so i just put a small hose clamp around it....:D

Mine is leaking in about the same area you are describing. I still haven't figured it out. Dad said there is a coolant line that goes behind the motor but it is hard to see it b/c of the firewall. Its not much of a leak, but its noticeable. I haven't gotten around Ford yet, to see if they have a picture with what coolant hose it is, to even see if it is, what dad thinks it is. Its been a couple days since I've messed with it. I just added some coolant and just check it every so often now. I doubt its a cracked hose, but anything is possible. I'll be sure to check the thin hose from the reservoir bottle tonight.

Rich, the small 1/4 inch coolant lines behind the motor are the PCV heater lines...

Todd Z

I had a major water pump failure that was runn and spraying as far back as the oil pan. I would trace the lines as todd mention. Start with the bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts