Coolant Flush and Fill Kit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade Abnett

Reaction score
I am replacing my radiator soon and changing coolant. What is the best way to get the existing coolant out of the block?

I was thinking about using the prestone flush and fill kit. I am not sure about cutting a perfectly good heater hose though. Not sure which is the inlet hose either, I am guessing its the left cause it goes to the top of the engine, the other appears to go down in the back.

Also does this remove any hose water inside the block when done flushing or does it flush it all out?

Thanks!:

haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
On many late model vehicles it is next to impossible to get a Flush-n-Fill kit on, or the heater hoses that you can find are too low to fill the system properly.

The JohnnyO method:

Tools needed: screwdriver, two gallons of distilled water, two gallons of Prestone, drain pan.

1. Pull off lower radiator hose, drain into pan.

2. Reconnect hose, clamp is optional.

3. Fill radiator with distilled water, start engine, keep filling, install cap just one click tight, turn on heater.

4. Turn left on Reno St., through light, left on Pittsburgh Rd., left onto Deer Lane, left onto Ohio Ave. (this is about 2 miles total), park in front of my house.

5. Repeat steps 1 thru 4.

6. Repeat step 5.

7. Remove lower hose, drain, reconnect and clamp.

8. Fill radiator with Prestone, start engine, monitor coolant level.

9. Install cap one click tight, repeat step 4.

10. Add Prestone as necessary, tighten cap fully.

It sounds harder than it is.

Basically about half the total capacity will remain in the block as water. So add half the total capacity in straight antifreeze. There is no block drain.

I just changed my coolant on my 07 4.6L. I had to flush by refilling radiator with water restarting and running with heater on and engine speed of 2000rpm. I did this probably 6 or 7 times to get clear water out of radiator. I then added the coolant and topped off with distilled water and put distilled water in overflow bottle as I added the full two gallons of coolant. Checked cold the next morning with hygrometer and it was in the upper safe range a little more than I need down here in Houston but it's cooling just like it did when new.

Jim

Latest posts