Coolant confusion-Revised

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Bourque

Reaction score
I was leaving to go to the store a few minutes ago and noticed a green thick sticky patch in the driveway that looked like coolant. Upon further investigation I noticed the area around the lower radiator clamp wet along with the braket under the rad.

So checking the overflow tank to see how major this leak was, I was surprised to see brownish fluids in my over flow tank:huh:

Two questions:

Why would I be seeing different colors in my cooling system?

Are the STs prone to have issues with the factory clamp/hose or worst ...Radiator problems (leaking end cap crimps, etc)?

It's a hard spot to look at without a lift due to the pan under the rad, but the rad core doesn't seem to show signs of agging such as missing/broken fins in the core area.

BTW It's a 2004 4x4.

D

Last edited by a moderator:
2004 ST uses FORD gold....

NOT green

NOT orange

Todd Z

I had the brownish "stuff" in my coolant reservoir also at around 12,000 miles. I kinda freaked, thinking that it looked like oil mixed in.

I drained and flushed the system of the Gold and refilled it with the green. Haven't seen it since.

Most likely since the Gold coolant is such a light color, whatever contaminate was in it contrasted making it look "brownish. With the same contaminate in the green it just doesn't contrast I guess

Dave S, the gold has different anti corrosive properties than the green. Ford changed to gold becuase of different metalurgies in various coolant areas, they use since '03. Ford did this on most of the cars since then, for a reason. I would flush and do it again.

Eddie,

I did the change about 3 years ago. I don't remember particulars but I did research and ask questions before I changed to green. I must have been convinced at that time that there is no appreciable difference between the two.

Thanks for the prod though, I'll have to revisit the decision.

What colors are you seeing in your cooling system?

If you have 100k on you ST replace your water pump; hoses ane thermostat while your at it.

The overflow tank seems brownish(guessing gold) and the leak at the bottom of the rad is green like Prestone used to look. Only thing is, it seems almost syrupish...thicker than it should be.

It looks like two completely different anti-freeze from the top(reservoir tank) of the rad to the bottom (leaky pipe).....how could this be?

My ST only has about 60K miles, so I'm guessing the pump is good for a bit yet.

did any one ever top it off with the wrong coolant ???

Sounds like it was mixed....

Todd Z

I did the change about 3 years ago. I don't remember particulars but I did research and ask questions before I changed to green. I must have been convinced at that time that there is no appreciable difference between the two.

I've asked Service Advisors at two different Ford dealerships about changing to green. They both told me that as long as it says "compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant regardless of color", then it's OK to use in your Ford. Like this:

[Broken External Image]:

Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant regardless of color for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

My thought is this: these Service Advisers at two completely different Ford dealerships whom I asked about it could've said "No, you have to use the OEM coolant (more expensive), and buy it at our dealership". But they didn't, they told me the truth as far as I'm concerned, so I'm going to flush mine with the Prestone shown above.

Sport Tracs have been around for nine model years now. Is there any documented evidence showing damage caused by using non-OEM coolant?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask me Ford has one of the best cooling systems on the market. they are not prone to leaking like other manufacturers do. I also think that the Ford gold coolant is about the best out there, I like it so much I run it in my 68 Camaro. If you have a late model Ford then you should be running the Ford gold coolant, if it has been mixed with something else then I highly resommend a complete flush of the system and then refilling with the gold and distilled water.

To the OP, I am betting you have green coolant in the system adn that is what youare seeing leaking. The brown you are seeing in the tank is probably a bunch of what you don't want in the cooling system. Whatever coolnat you decide to do use just make sure that you flush the system completely to clean it and get rid of whatever is in there.

Like I said, it' been awhile since I changed the collant but you've rattled my memory TT. That' what I remember now also. A long as it stated mixes / compatible with other coolants, it wa good to use. And the Pretone you picture is what I used. If I remember right, that was the only brand at the time which fit the criteria.

Thanks,

Curiousity got me searching this collant issue and I stumbled upon this TSB.

Interesting to ay the least.

Especially "Testing is currently underway" on page 2. Wonder what their conclusion was?

Also for the "brownish" color; see Coolant discoloration paragraph on page 2.

Another more recent Filter Council TSB:

They conclude that mixing of the coolants doen't damage the system but does negate the long life / extended benefits of whatever is used by the OEM.

Well I beleive my mechanic found my problem. Looks like the condenser on my ST sprung a leak.:( The Green stuff I was seeing was dye and not anti-freeze.

It explains the confusion on green vs gold coolant, but it doesn't make me happier:(

Looks like I am now looking for a condenser instead of a hose clamp.

D

Latest posts