Converting 4x2 to 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
My brother found a rolled 2001 to 2003 Sport, not sure of the year.

Anyways, he was thinking of pulling the 4.0L OHV out of his Explorer and putting the 4.0L SOHC in it.

Anyways, if I had a complete rolling chassis, including tranny, would would I need if I wanted to attempt this?

It is only a thought and I doubt I would even want to attempt it or care to attempt it.

Just a thought. Don't say it cant be done because I will do it to prove you wrong.

Tom

Can't be done :lol: (I just want to see someone do this)

You guys are not nice. Maybe I would even use the Borg-Warner torque-on-demand transfer case.

I know you are just saying this to make me do it.

Tom

Tranny, t-case and the front axle parts. The 4x2 front end isn't a lot different except for the lack of driveline. One of the 4x4 magazines was building up a 4x4 Sport Trac a while back that they bought used and it was MISSING the front end driveline, but still driveable.

I'd say keep it simple and pass on the electronically controlled t-case, then you don't have to worry about the wiring, etc.

Now what MIGHT work nicely would be the manual t-case from a 2002 Ranger FX4 with a manual transmission. Same t-case with just a nice simple lever up through the floor. 2003+ FX4 Level II's all had the electric unit, as did a 2002 with an automatic. I don't know if that would bolt up to the automatic or not. Of course, those are scarcer than hen's teeth, but I digress.....

JUST DO IT !!!!

Todd Z

You'll also need the rear driveshaft from the 4x4 as it will be shorter then yours.