Consumer Reports

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stadnicki

Reaction score
April 09 Consumer Reports Pg 82 rates the '07 V8 Sport Trac a "Used car to avoid" .

Nice, I'm glad I got one... Plus with the recent $3000 damage from someone else hitting me I should have a real good trade in on it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't surprise me at all. ST's are weird niche vehicles, they are never going to recieve high marks. Then throw in the transmission issues.

I'm not saying I don't love my ST, but I didn't buy it because it had great reviews, I bought it because it was practical for my uses. I also bought it with the intention of driving it until it explodes.

I loved my 03, and I love my 07. I think they are classy, versatile vehicles. I didn't have any issues with my 03, and so far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with my 07.

They have to have a lot of complaints about that particular model to put it on their list. Surprisingly the 07 V6 ST is rated very highly in the reliability section that covers ST's from 03 thru 07. Only black mark is the notorious tranny. Practically everything else is rated above average.

Consumer reports gave the early Sport Tracs a bad rating on reliability. Then around 2003-2004 they gave the Sport Tracs a very high reliability rating. Now they are going back to the low-ball again. It may be because of the number of transmission related issues tha Ford continues to ignore, which appears to be the most previlant problem.

If you are buying a vehicle scrictly on relaiblity, you probably will steer clear of any American made vehicle. Yes, American makers have made huge improvements in quality over the years, but the Japanese and Germans continue to raise the bar even higher. I think American manufacturers are probably about 5-10 years behind the Germans and Japanese in quality, reliability, and customer service. Even the Koreans have gotten better, and may have past the American manufacturers.

...Rich

Yes, American makers have made huge improvements in quality over the years, but the Japanese and Germans continue to raise the bar even higher.

Have you ever looked at the actualy reliability rating of German cars?

VW is dead last.

Tom

I don't agree, Rich.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again, the cars and trucks I've owned in the past 25 years have all been American made. Very few of them have seen the inside of a shop and even then, it wasn't an expensive trip.

My wife drives for a living. Since we've been married (15 years) she's put over a million miles on her Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs with only one major expense: a new transmission in her 2002 Cadillac with only 50K miles on it.

Not bad. I could probably have had the same luck with an import...but why would I do that?

First, if you read the report it lumps the Sport Trac in with the Explorer line as if these are the same vehicle and they are vastly different. That alone told me their credibility is a real question here. When you delve deeper into the numbers, thev've done no research on 2007, 2008 or 2009 vehicles! My Sport Trac 2008 Adrenaline is fantastic and very well made.

I have friends who own BMW's, Mercedes, VM, and Jaquar vehicles and their repair bills are enormous. I would never own any of those...ever....after seeing what they have all gone through. Their quality sucks so please stop saying German cars and Japanese cars are better because that is just old news. My Mom's Honda has had more recalls than I have ever had with both Sport Tracs.

Cayman said:
Have you ever looked at the actual reliability rating of German cars?

VW is dead last.

In 2001 my dad got a new BMW 740iL. $65,000. Worst POS he ever owned. Dad went back to Cadillacs. His 2004 Caddy has over 100k on it and the only thing that broke was....uhh, nothing.

tom,

i am happy to see that you excluded the japanese mfg's from your comment.

maybe you are starting to see reality :)

I've seen lemons on both sides of the pond. The grass may look greener, but i can guarantee that the e90/2 BMW M3 has had numerous issues regarding its transmissions among other things. Do not think issues are limited to American brands just because a general consensus has said so.

IMO, it is an old wise tale that foriegn is better. One fact is. If you do the work yourself or garage repair. The common parts that wear out at same interval on US and foriegn cost more ,so does labor. Sometimes 3 times more. Drive train and suspension repair out of site for foriegn.

A freind of mine has an Avolon.He paid over 3 times as much, for a rebuilt rack and pinion, than I ever have for domestic. He shoped around for best price.

IMO, their is a whole list of some foriegn cars that have become status symbols. The owners are ashamed to talk about the cost of upkeep.

IMO, their is a whole list of some foriegn cars that have become status symbols.

Like driving a Mercedes-Benz?

MB is usually on the lower end of reliability. Then again, if you can afford to buy a MB, you can afford to keep it on the road and look good doing it.

Tom