Console removal?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

Reaction score
Trying to remove the top of the console where the cup holders are to install leds to light up when the seat heat is on. I can get the top up about 3/8" and no further. It clicks when I push it back down. I am lifting the rear of it and really pulling hard. Should I use a bar to pry up on it?

Thanks, really love this site.

PS. I would like another meet again this year, loved the Louisville meet and I think we should try to meet there again before they close the assembly plant.

Paul, from what i just read in the projects section, you need to persuade it a Little, but it pulls up...

Todd Z

That's correct. It's only held in with clips. Pulling up from the rear is the best way to do it. Don't use a pry bar - you'll damage the plastic. Use a pair of leather gloves if it's trying to slip out of your hands (it IS slippery). If you have confidence you won't break it, it'll help you lift harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I would do is remove the arm cushion and the compartment underneath. Then there is a piece between the compartment and the center consol with the cup holders that can be removed with 4 screws. After those three things are removed, removing and replacing the center consol after customization will be really easy.

Doing it this way you will be sure that you are not braking anything or bending plastic. Usually when something wont give with a considerable amount of force, it needs to be worked differently.

Let me know if you need more info.

I just had this off again last night. As Eric and Todd have said you just have to pull straight up from the back. I pull up from the sides of the cup holder. When puting it back put the front in first and make sure it clips in on the sides and then push the back in.

Just finished installing the seat heat indicators. I had to take the box out and get my hands under the console to get it out. I thought I had broken something when it came loose, but I didn't. I used LED assemblies from Radio Shack rated for 16 volts and probably would not blow if twice that was applied. I tied the negatives togeather and spliced into the negative wire on the cigarette lighter, then I only ran one wire to the heat switch. The colors were not what someone had in his project. I found the right wires with a 12 volt test light and probing the wires with a pin. There was not enough wire length to use wire taps so I soldered and insulated the connections.

While I was in there I cut a hole under the rubber mat on the console for my GPS antenna and ran it so it is hidden. I will probably power my GPS from the cigar lighter as well later.

Thanks for the site and all the good ideas that people are willing to share.

Latest posts